LL-L "Idiomatica" 2007.09.07 (04) [E]

Fri Sep 7 15:23:19 UTC 2007

L O W L A N D S - L  -  07 September 2007 - Volume 04

From: jonny <jonny.meibohm at arcor.de>
Subject: LL-L "Idiomatica" 2007.09.06 (06) [E]

 Theo,

Du schreyvst:

> How did you curse in your own dialect?

Hm- I must admit that I don't know many 'good' swears in LS, and about this
phenomenon I had posted before aeons.
Our LS seems to have lost them, because there are so much better ones in
Standard German.
All I could tell you about is:

*'Dat is verlour'n (Skiit)'! *(Lost shit) (from Eastern Frisian Low Saxon)
*'Hotzverdoori nochmol!' (*Goddam)
*'Tjunge- is dii dat 'n Theoter!'  (*Oh boy- what a to-do)
*'Nu' waard  't Wiinach'n!' (*Now we [seem to] have Christmas)
*'Dübel un Groudmodder ouk!' (*Devil and his grandma)

I really think that LS has become a weak and polite language, compared with
great, modern languages. It's a huge difference if you say e.g.  *'Das ist
große Scheiße'*  in Standard German or *'Dat is grouden Schiit'*  in LS.
Perhaps I should add that still in my childhood it was strictly forbidden to
use the word *Scheiße*, but no problem at all to say *Schiit.* Today
the first one nearly is 'salon-fähig', though often substituted by English
'shit'.

Allerbest!

Jonny Meibohm