LL-L "Games" 2008.04.18 (06) [E]

Fri Apr 18 17:59:50 UTC 2008

 http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands.list at gmail.com

 Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

 Administration: lowlands.list at gmail.com or sassisch at yahoo.com

L O W L A N D S - L - 18 April 2008 - Volume 06
the html toggle at the bottom of the archived page.

From: Luc Hellinckx <luc.hellinckx at gmail.com>
Subject: LL-L "Games"

One game of chance that used to be played around here for gambling purposes
until the middle of the 20th century was "Anker en Zon" (Crown and Anchor in
English). Illegal nowadays, but apparently some variations of the game
(chuck-a-luck in the US, hoo hey how in China, bau cua ca cop in Vietnam)
still survive.

Kind greetings,

Luc Hellinckx

PS: Pigeon racing still happens, but is not as popular as it used to be (
http://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duivensport). I was once told that the best
pigeons are sold for an awful lot of money to the Japanese.