LL-L "Games" 2008.04.20 (01) [E]

Sun Apr 20 16:42:01 UTC 2008

L O W L A N D S - L - 20 April 2008 - Volume 01
the html toggle at the bottom of the archived page.

From: Mike Morgan <mwmosaka at gmail.com>
Subject: LL-L "Games" 2008.04.19 (04) [E]

R/R wrote:
> Dog meat is eaten in various parts of the world also, for instance in some
> parts of Siberia, Manchuria, China and Korea.

And , lest we forget, America as well. No, not the European Americans,
but the Native Americans. Among Lakhota for instance dog meat is an
important item on the festive menu. I assume the same is true at least
throughout the high plains cultural area.

As for horse, I have often seen it on the menu at Japanese 焼肉 yakiniku
(grilled meat) restaurants. Have some problems still understanding how
a country that insists that it is Buddhist can consume all manner of
creatures without any qualms (even going to linguistic contortions to
do so, a favorite example of which is the fact that the counter
(numerical classified) for rabbits is 羽 -wa, the same used for birds
-- in fact the word 羽 -wa means "wing". (One can imagine that as a
culture, the line of what was acceptable to eat was slowly moved up
the evolutionary chain. When Buddhism was accepted by Japanese, the
line was already no doubt immediately moved up to include fish (not
forgetting of course that whales ARE "fish") as an acceptable menu
item. Then gradually birds were added. Then, the folk etymology goes,
a king who had a fancy for rabbit meat declared that rabbits should be
included in the bird category so they too could be consumed without
violating Buddhist "principles".)

> I once was tricked into eating
> it in China. I was not a happy camper when I found out, even though at the
> time I used to be a more adventurous eater and didn't have the ethical and
> spiritual position that I have now.

For me it was once in the by boy scouts. One evening's camp stew
tasted a bit "different", and only later did we realize that a mutt
which had been tagging faithfully along was suddenly nowhere to be
found. (That was the year I lived next to Fort Bragg and the troop
master was a Green Beret wannabe.)

Happily I am now in a place where one does not have to struggle to
maintain ones philosophical culinary principles ... or sacrifice
either.

MWM || マイク || Мика || माईक  || માઈક || ਮਾਈਕ
================
Dr Michael W Morgan
Managing Director
Ishara Foundation