LL-L "Phonology" 2008.04.30 (04) [E]

Wed Apr 30 19:38:33 UTC 2008

 http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands.list at gmail.com

 Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

 Administration: lowlands.list at gmail.com or sassisch at yahoo.com

L O W L A N D S - L  - 30 April 2008 - Volume 04

From: Diederik Masure <didimasure at hotmail.com>
Subject: LL-L "What does it mean?" 2008.04.30 (02) [E]

Since we've been talking about basil(icum) all the time, I realised that
recently I've begun pronouncing it baZIlikum (both in english and
dutch) instead of baziLIkum as I used to do in my childhood. Would stress on
3rd syllable be southern Dutch dialect, and 2nd Standard Dutch? Or is either
of them just a pronunciation mistake? Might it be due to mainly speaking
English everyday with German and other foreign people, since those Germans
usually say baZIlikum? (yes, even in English we use basilicum here, noone
seems to know here that it's actually called basil, not even me until now:))

Can anyone shine light upon this?

Diederik