LL-L "Projects" 2008.08.01 (02) [E]

Fri Aug 1 14:34:53 UTC 2008

L O W L A N D S - L  - 01 August 2008 - Volume 02

From: Mike Morgan <mwmosaka at gmail.com>
Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2008.07.30 (03) [E]

R/R wrote:
> By the way, Mike, "dog" is psyk in Upper Sorbian and psyk or pjas (sg.
gen.
> psa) in Lower Sorbian. In Polabian (which is Lechitic) it's pjas or pjôs.

Yes, that fleeting vowel (p/ja/s but p/s-a), indicative of a
proto-Slavic short /i/ and so also an Indo-European short /i/, is the
vowel that is "wrong". Not that I ever heard of anyone trying to shear
a dog (though i HAVE heard of "SHEEPdogs"!), but if that short /i/ was
a short /e/ it would be perfect for the *pek^(w)- etymon... And Slavic
does not, to my memory , have any competitors for that slot.

> P.S.: Both Sorbian versions are now in our Anniversary gallery:
> http://lowlands-l.net/anniversary/serbscina-dolno.php
> http://lowlands-l.net/anniversary/serbscina-hornjo.php
> Info: http://lowlands-l.net/anniversary/serbscina-info.php

Great! Actually two of the last languages I worked on leisure-like
(that is: after I decided to leave Japan for this NGO in Bombay and
before I knew how much work I was getting myself into!) were Upper and
Lower Sorbian (aka Lusatian aka Wendish). Somehow during my
grad-school days as a Slavic Linguistics major I didn't get around to
them.

I got as close as Berlin, but I ended up liking Berlin too much and my
summer of travel ran out on me, and so I didn't get those last couple
hours to  "Serbia".

I'll download them straight away so next time the monsoons have me
trapped inside (thank god I live on the first floor -- 2nd floor to
you yanks!) and the electricity is out, I will have some pleasure
reading!

Mike || マイク || माईक || Мика || માઈક || მაიქ || ਮਾਈਕ || מייק || மாஇக் || ما
یک
================
Dr Michael W Morgan
Managing Director
Ishara Foundation
Mumbai (Bombay), India
++++++++++++++++
माईकल मोर्गन (पी.एच.डी.)
मेनेजिंग डॉयरेक्टर
ईशारा फॉउंडेशन (मुंबई )
++++++++++++++++
茂流岸マイク(言語学博士)
イシャラ基金の専務理事・事務局長
ムンバイ(ボンベイ)、インド

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Projects

I'm glad you like it, Mike.

Yesterday I added a Romanian version:

http://lowlands-l.net/anniversary/romana.php
http://lowlands-l.net/anniversary/romana-info.php

I will probably add an audio file to it.

OK, you "guys," keep on going with the projects! If you don't remember what
they are, take another look at them, for the keep developing:

   - Anniversary (lowlands-l.net/anniversary/)
   - Gallery (lowlands-l.net/gallery/ )
   - Travels (lowlands-l.net/travels/)
   - History (lowlands-l.net/history/ <http://lowlands-l.net/travels/>)
   - Traditions (lowlands-l.net/traditions/<http://lowlands-l.net/anniversary/>