LL-L "Language use" 2008.08.06 (01) [E]

Wed Aug 6 14:16:14 UTC 2008

 http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands.list at gmail.com

 Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

 Administration: lowlands.list at gmail.com or sassisch at yahoo.com

L O W L A N D S - L - 06 August 2008 - Volume 01

From: Mark Dreyer <mrdreyer at lantic.net>
Subject: L-L "Language use" 2008.08.05 (02) [E/S]

Dear Sandy:

Subject: LL-L "Language use"
I Mark, join the throng of seconders. We LOVE to see your Scots
contributions.

People, I'm back. The old man had a contratemps with a puff-adder - a big
bugger - on the farm. It happened just outside the kitchen door. He killed
it, but the bastard got the first bite in. The fangs were 5cm apart - & you
know a puffadder can't rear, but all the same this one reached to his upper
calf. It was big, alright. So he threw the corpse in the back of the bakkie,
locked up the house, the farmyard, drove out to the neighbours, opening &
closing three gates on the way & two more on Koos Engelbrecht's land. He
caught the man just on his way out, & said, "Help my nou. 'n slang het my
gepik."

Well that party tore off with him to the doctor, & there he waited for three
hours for an ambulance from Pietersburg to pick him up & over the next three
hours ferry him to Wilgers Hospital in Pretoria. Wo no longer have the
capacity to manufacture the antivenine, so the doctor, a real boffin,
managed the bite surgically, by cutting open the skin & the muscle sheath.
In this case the incredible swelling is not contained under pressure which
brings capillary blood-flow brought to a stop, so necrosis is minimal. All
he needed really was a small skin-graft later, & there, to an extent, is how
matters stand with the bite.

He is convalescing in a home with frail-care facilities here outside
Pretoria, among rural Afrikaans elders of his own generation & persuasion.
Sadly, he is not yet able to support his weight on his pins, but we're
hoping for the best. He says the graft is now hurting worse than the rest.

As a mere aside, sad to report, no sooner was he off the farm than
itinerants came in with trucks & started carting off whatever they could lay
their hands on. This is happening a lot in South Africa right now, even
though we've not quite gone as far as Zimbabwe. The one remaining farm-hand
he has is a timid fellow, & let it happen. Mind you, one doesn't need much
intimidating with an AKM. The trouble is, they started by stripping the
machinery & plant for the borehole & water supply, & if anything happens to
what little remains there is no water for him, or anything else. The desert
creeps closer. We have taken the cattle off the land, or they'd be stolen
too. The police are no help. Some of them are the worst scoundrels

Whatever befalls hereafter, a golden age has passed from that parcel of
land, & out into family memories.

Talk me some cheer, my canny Scot.

Vlad: Mickle apologies (I still have Sandy in mind) for not obliging by
return of post with the lyrics you asked for. Let me look at the matter
again, & I hope I can come back to you soon.

Yrs,
Mark.