LL-L "Orthography" 2008.08.17 (04) [E]

Sun Aug 17 19:57:51 UTC 2008

 http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands.list at gmail.com

 Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

 Administration: lowlands.list at gmail.com or sassisch at yahoo.com

L O W L A N D S - L - 17 August 2008 - Volume 04

From: heatherrendall at tiscali.co.uk <heatherrendall at tiscali.co.uk>
Subject: LL-L "Orthography" 2008.08.17 (02) [E]

from Heatherrendall at tiscali.co.uk

Dear Ron

Agreed! But the fact that the examiners used 'misspelt/misspelled' as a
"spelling problem" points to the state of affairs that reigns in British
Education - not enough people know not enough about an awful lot.

I had a postgrad. student at Cambridge tell me that 'learnt' was the
preterite and 'learned' was the past participle rather than possible
alternatives for both! She would not have believed that had she not been
taught it. She wouldn't have been taught it if her teacher had been well
schooled in grammar.

What is a teacher not well schooled in grammar doing being a teacher of
languages??????

Heather

PS The student was adamant that she was right and I was wrong and
embarassingly stuck her ground and insisted I retract what I was saying!!!!

PPS I didn't!