LL-L "Delectables" 2008.08.24 (02) [E]

Sun Aug 24 19:49:24 UTC 2008

L O W L A N D S - L - 24 August 2008 - Volume 02

From: Roger Thijs, Euro-Support, Inc. <roger.thijs at euro-support.be>
Subject: LL-L Delectables

*Maison Antoine* is found to be the best Belgian Fries stand by the
Netherlands newspaper Volkskrant, as reported in De Standaard, local pages
of Vlaams Brabant, Aug 21 2008, p. 16 (in Dutch).

http://www.euro-support.be/temp/del/ant.pdf

Local names for a Belgian Fries Stand:

in Belgian Dutch: *frietkot, frituur*

in Belgian French: *fritterie, friture*

I tested it this very afternoon.

The easiest way to reach Maison Antoine;

Take the *central line 1a or 1b* of the Brussels metro till the
*"Schuman"*station.

*(The central line passes through the central railway station, and it has a
stop close to the US Embassy at "Kunst-Wet Arts-Loi")*

Take *the stairs for exit Justus Lipsius.*

You are in the very middle of the European Quarter.

Turn to the right and take the *Froisssart* street.

You will reach the little place Jourdan after a 10 minutes walk.

http://www.euro-support.be/temp/del/fri0.jpg

From the North-West corner of Jourdan place one has a sight on the European
Parliament

The North of the place is taken by the boaring facade of the Sofitel Hotel.

Fortunately the 3 other sides consists mainly of little eateries.

This Sunday afternoon they were cleaning the place from the garbage left
over of the Sunday morning market.

Even at 3 pm there were still 2 rows queuing at 2 servicing windows.

http://www.euro-support.be/temp/del/fri1.jpg

You are free to take your fries to one of outdoor tables of the cafés
around.

http://www.euro-support.be/temp/del/fri2.jpg

Real Belgian fries are very different from Mac Donald fries.

The potatos are carefully selected and they are prepared in 2 cycles in real
ox fat, a first time for cooking the interior, a second time for
caramelizing the skin.

I paid 5:20 euro at the stand:

2.20 for a large bag of fries

0.50 for hot Samourai mayonnaise

2.50 for a sate stick (saté brochette)

and in the café

1.50 euro for a 33cl draft Stella beer.

Although the fries are very different from the cardboard-alike fries you get
in restaurants, they are very similar to what you get in the little fries
stands all over this country.

De Standaard of today also reports of an other delectable
"*Potjesvlees"*from the Belgian Westhoek (Veurne-Ambacht).

In Northern France you also find it on the menus, as "Potje(s)vlees*ch*"

It consists of a mixture of pieces of chicken, rabbit and veal, prepared in
a stiff jelly.

Learn more about it (in Dutch) on these 2 pages:

http://www.euro-support.be/temp/del/pv1.pdf

http://www.euro-support.be/temp/del/pv2.pdf

Regards,

Roger

PS The urls will be removed after a few days. Copyrights may apply for the
pages of "De Standaard". The photos are mine.

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Delectables

Thank you very much, Roger.

If you permit it, I would post this at our Travel site:
http://lowlands-l.net/travels/

Please let me know.

For some reason, the pages about food at that site are very popular, so this
one would be too. I guess people love both traveling and eating.

I just (finally) updated your page about Steenokkerzeel (
http://lowlands-l.net/travels/steenokkerzeel.php) which is also quite
popular.

Thanks and regards,