LL-L "Etymology" 2008.12.02 (01) [E]

Tue Dec 2 15:15:03 UTC 2008

 http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands.list at gmail.com

 Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

 Administration: lowlands.list at gmail.com or sassisch at yahoo.com

L O W L A N D S - L - 01 December 2008 - Volume 02

From: Wesley Parish <wes.parish at paradise.net.nz>
Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2008.12.01 (04) [E]

Surely "rag time" refers to "non-standard timing" - ie, the timing that
wasn't
standard 4/4, and which probably - in the actual playing of the
African-American musicians of the time, probably came to something like
7/12,
5/8, 2/5, or something of that sort.

Or "shaggy" timing, to ears that held 4/4 to be perfection itself.

Just my 0.02c - don't spend it all at once - we do have a recession on!

Wesley Parish

On Tuesday 02 December 2008 06:37, Lowlands-L List wrote:
<snip>

> From: Kevin & Cheryl Caldwell <kevin.caldwell1963 at verizon.net>
> Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2008.12.01 (02) [E]
>
> Rag paper is actually very high quality, not low quality.  See
> http://painting.about.com/od/artglossaryr/g/defragpaper.htm .
>
> I suspect "rag" as a disparaging term for a newspaper refers to the
quality
> of the writing, not the paper it's printed on.
>
> Some American schools whose mascot is the tiger call their school
newspaper
> "Tiger Rag", which is also the name of a well-known ragtime song.
>
> Kevin Caldwell
>
> ----------
>
> From: Brooks, Mark <mark.brooks at twc.state.tx.us>
> Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2008.12.01 (02) [E]
>
> Heather asked:  "How do any of you think the English epression 'local rag'
> meaning 'local newspaper' might have got its name?"
>
> I used to work in a copy/printing company.  When we talked about high
> quality paper, we would call it by the percent of "rag" it contained.  Rag
> in this case meant cotton.  So when we printed Doctoral Dissertations we
> always put them on 100% rag.  You could also find 50% rag and so on.
> However, in our case it meant a higher quality of paper than the standard
> copy paper.
>
> Regards,
>
> Mark Brooks

-----
Gaul is quartered into three halves.  Things which are
impossible are equal to each other.  Guerrilla
warfare means up to their monkey tricks.
Extracts from "Schoolboy Howlers" - the collective wisdom
of the foolish.
-----
Mau e ki, he aha te mea nui?

From: Wesley Parish <wes.parish at paradise.net.nz>
Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2008.12.01 (05) [A/D/E]

Rags, most probably.  It's only relatively recently that wood fibre has been
used almost exclusively as the source of cellulose fibre - before that -
well, Napolean's invasion of Egypt used up a whole lot of mummy windings for
paper in a spectacular case of cultural vandalism.

And no, I don't see it as unrelated to the forum - I did some work for the
local University Library in 2000-01, computer-cataloging a donation of
several hundred musical scores donated by a local prominent musician's widow
to the library.  The paper from the 1880-era scores was quite different from
the 1900-era scores, etc.

Most of the 1880-era and 1900-era scores were from major German music
publishers, several being from recognizable Lowlands cities.

Wesley Parish

On Tuesday 02 December 2008 09:53, Lowlands-L List wrote:
<snip> ----------

> From: heatherrendall at tiscali.co.uk <heatherrendall at tiscali.co.uk>
> Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2008.12.01 (04) [E]
>
> from Heather Rendall
>
> re rag paper
>
> Whoops! My mistake and apologies to all those connected with the paper
> trade. I suppose I was thinking about the paper that was used in old 50s
> comics and other cheap books / magazines in which you could almost see
> pressed threads.
>
> What would this have been made out of?
>
> Sorry not really a Forum problem! But I'm interested.
>
> Heather

<snip>
-----