LL-L "Language politics" 2008.12.11 (02) [E]

Thu Dec 11 15:37:06 UTC 2008

L O W L A N D S - L - 11 December 2008 - Volume 02

From: Jonny <jonny.meibohm at arcor.de>
Subject: LL-L "Language politics" 2008.12.10 (01) [D/E/LS]

Beste Lowlanners,

yesterday I sent you a link about the intention to change street- and
placenames into Frisian in Fryslan/Netherlands:
http://www.leeuwardercourant.nl/nieuws/regio/article4109509.ece

Today Piet Bult (who got a copy of that yesterday's mail) sent me an article
from an insert of the same 'Leeuwarder Courant' just showing the other thing
in East-Frisian/Germany (i.e. change of Low Saxon street names into Standard
German). I found some additional links in German newspapers:

http://www.szon.de/news/kultur/aktuell/200811171040.html?_from=rss

http://www.ostfriesische-nachrichten.de/neu/index_volltext.asp?ID=24003

Let me give a short summary to those of you who aren't familiar with German:

The community of *'Großefehn'* in East Friesland/Germany decided to change
some Low Saxon street names *within a new commercial area* of their village
into Standard German because they experienced that customers and drivers of
any delivery services, who don't speak LS, have difficulties to find their
addressees.

By the scandalised leader of the German 'Frisian Party' this step is
suspected to be against the spirit of the times - in other regions of
Northern Germany people try to add, sometimes to re-invent the Low Saxon
names of their locations. And furtheron he fears that this affair could lead
to the result that the EU will get everything out of this matter and make a
decision about  any regularized standard for new street names.

I'll enjoy to hear your opinions!

Allerbest!

Jonny Meibohm