LL-L "Language varieties" 2008.12.11 (05) [E]

Thu Dec 11 19:02:44 UTC 2008

L O W L A N D S - L - 11 December 2008 - Volume 05

From: Wolfram Antepohl <wolfram at antepohl.se>
Subject: LL-L "Language varieties" 2008.12.11 (03) [E]

Theo, are you sure it's Norwegian? I thought I understood most Nowegian
varieties but I can't underständ a word here. The setting might be an oil
rig, so that fits but ... Can you understand what they say? I can rule out
Swedish for sure.

Greetings

Wolfram

--

Wolfram Antepohl

Lindesbergsgatan 4

582 53 Linköping

013-125243

073-8031585

wolfram at antepohl.se

----------

From: Luc Hellinckx <luc.hellinckx at gmail.com>
Subject: LL-L "Language varieties"

Beste Howard,

I thought on this list surely someone could identify it.

The firm they're working for is "Sarens", which is the biggest Belgian
company in crane-business. Even on an international level, they're
keyplayers. They can lift (almost) everything you wish, even on Antarctica
they're doing business. By the way, the family name Sarens is one of the few
examples of a matronymicum, Sarens < Sara.

I grew up 5 km from the place where "Sooike Sarens" once founded his
company, in Steenhuffel. Recently they moved to Wolvertem, which is also
nearby.

The guy in the end said: "Met een en twee houten met glasanker, kan je een
fout geven" = "Mé iën en twië houte mé glasanker, kunde een fout geve"

The fact that he aspires the initial h in houte, means that he comes  from a
region northeast of a line connecting the north of Antwerp with Tienen. So
it's definitely a Brabantish dialect, more specifically what we call
"Kempisch" or "Kempens". The Kempen are a wooded area in eastern Antwerp.

Kind greetings,

Luc Hellinckx