LL-L "Traditions" 2008.12.21 (04) [E]

Mon Dec 22 00:06:33 UTC 2008

L O W L A N D S - L - 21 December 2008 - Volume 04

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Traditions

Hi, everyone!

Jacqueline, you wrote:

Hello Lowlanders, I was just thinking when I got Ron's Holliday message that
I know very little about what is iconic for this part of the year in other
cultures. Wotan had his mighty oak and maybe mistletoe already. For the
people in the Northern hemisphere the oaks were felled and replaced with "Oh
Tannenbaum" and lately I have run into many a "Hanukka bush". But what other
cultural icons are there? Solstices were easily observed even by people
without modern technology. So there must be other signs around.

Here are tidbits of what I have learned about this over the years:

Among pre-Christian Germanic tribes, Winter Solstice celebrations often
involved various fire rituals designed to provoke the return of the sun for
another cycle.

In wooded areas, trees on hilltops would be set alight. Apparently, this led
to the development of the Christmas tree.

On the coast, large bonfires used to be lit, and rituals used to be
performed around them, also to entice the sun back. A relic of this is the *
biikebrennen* ("beacon burning") in Northern Friesland.

In wooded areas, alternatively, or in addition, large wheels clad in
vegetation would be set alight and rolled down hillsides. This may have led
to the development of the Advent wreath and the name "Yule" which means
'wheel':

   - Old Frisian *hwēl, fiāl*
   - Old English *hweogl*
      -    > English, Scots *wheel*
   - Old Norse *hvēl, hvel, hjōl*
      -    > wheel: Icelandic, Faroese *hjól*, Danish, Norwegian *jul*,
      Swedish *hjul*
      -    > Christmas: Icelandic, Faroese *jól*, Danish, Norwegian, Swedish
      *jul*
      -    > English "Yule", Scots: *Yuil*, Finnish *joulu*, Estonian* jõulu
      *
   - Germanic: **hwela > *hwegwula, *hwehula*

I consider it quite possible that the lighting of the doused Christmas
pudding and the rituals surrounding it in Britain are derivatives of the
ancient fire rituals.

Also, certain cleansing rituals used to lead up to Yule, designed to remove
evil spirits before the sun's return. Apparently, relics of this is noisy
stomping and singing throughout the home at Christmas in Scandinavia,
various mummers festivals in Allemannic-speaking areas, and New Year's
cleaning rituals in various parts of Europe.

Of course, fire also plays a cleansing role in many other Eurasian
traditions, and this may well be connected with the mentioned European
rituals as well.

Thanks for the Yuletide descriptions that just rolled in and are posted
below!

And, of course, there is the Jewish Hanukkah (חנוכה) tradition which roughly
"coincides" with other festivals of light in the Northern Hemisphere's
darkest time of the year. The official religious explanation is that it
commemorates the rededication of the Holy Temple in Jerusalem at the time of
the Maccabean Revolt of the 2nd century BCE. It is observed for eight
nights, every night an additional light being lit on a *hanukiah* (חנכיה), a
candelabra (*menorah* מנורה) specifically set aside for Hanukkah. Roughly,
the story told about it is that at the rededication there was only enough
olive oil to light a lamp for one night, by the flame actually lasted eight
days.

I truly wish you all wonderful days in the company of people you love.
Whatever you do, enjoy it!

From: heatherrendall at tiscali.co.uk <heatherrendall at tiscali.co.uk>
Subject: LL-L "Traditions" 2008.12.21 (01) [E]

from Heather Rendall  heatherrendall at tiscali.co.uk

Jacqueline asked about iconic traditions

Here for our family a Christmas tree with decorations given each year to
each child so that a whole life time of memories hang on the tree: somewhat
depleted now since our 3 children have left home and taken their own
personal decorations with them. But still great joy to see them again when
visiting their homes ( as I did this afternoon and saw 30 years of
decorations on my daughter's tree. We had a happy few minutes recalling
where or why each one had been bought.)

Carrot and parsnip mash with the turkey

A christmas pudding well-lit with warm brandy being carried clockwise round
the table and GREAT disappointment if the flames die before the carrier (
usually me) completes the circle and sits down.

For decorations we bring in evergreens - holly and ivy and fir in the main
with the odd glass bauble as well.

A Christmas carol concert sometime during the weeks before Christmas

The Christmas Carols from Kings College at 3p.m. on Christmas Eve to
accompany the cooking in the kitchen and home made brandy butter with the
pudding and lots of cream!

Mmmmm I can't wait!

very best wishes to all

Heather