LL-L "Mailings" 2008.12.23 (03) [E]

Tue Dec 23 19:42:15 UTC 2008

 http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands.list at gmail.com

 Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

 Administration: lowlands.list at gmail.com or sassisch at yahoo.com

L O W L A N D S - L - 23 December 2008 - Volume 03

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Mailings

Dear Lowlanders,

Susan Smith of LINGUIST (our list server hosts) responded to our reports of
duplicate mail delivery.

As you can see (below) she and I suspect the same cause.

Dear Ron,
I checked the logs for the 19th, when Carolyn mentions that she saw a
duplicate posting.  They look fine, nothing out of the ordinary... I didn't
see any duplicates in the archives, which leads me to think that the problem
isn't happening on listserv's end.
Here's some possible causes that were mentioned in the Listserv Owner's
mailing list archives:

"The subscriber's email service reports a temporary delivery failure to the
LISTSERV mail handler (which will retry later) but actually accepted the
mail. Some spam-defense strategies sometimes work like this."
(Listserv said that all of the delivery errors on the 19th were not
permanent, however I guess this scenario could have occurred, because a
permanent error would mean the message was never delivered.)

I found this also: http://www.lsoft.com/manuals/lsv-faq.stm#_Toc196887298

It's all pretty involved, however it sounds like the problem probably has to
do with the recipients' mail providers, so I'm not sure if it's a big enough
problem to get into contacting their providers etc.  If you had copies of
some of the duplicated messages, I could look at their headers to see where
the problem is occurring (or try to see, anyways).  I hope this makes sense,
although it's not terribly helpful.  Let me know if there's anything more I
can do, or if you'd like me to look at some of the duplicate messages.

Happy Holidays!
-Susan