LL-L "Traditions" 2008.12.30 (04) [E]

Tue Dec 30 22:15:40 UTC 2008

L O W L A N D S - L - 30 December 2008 - Volume 04

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Traditions

Dear Lowlanders,

I just read through our Arend's posting again just now, and his mention of *
euliebollen* (German-type spelling *Öliebollen*) his Low Saxon equivalent of
Dutch *oliebollen* ("oil balls"), in Belgium *smoutebollen* ("lard balls").
Essentially, these are deep-fried dough balls, often containing sultanas,
citrus zest or apple pieces, served sprinkled with powdered sugar. These are
popular fare around New Year's and also at fun fairs (carnivals). These are
often referred to as "Dutch doughnuts" (although they have no holes).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oliebollen

We seem to be dealing with a cultural continuum here.

In much of Northern Germany the equivalent, eaten on the same occasions, is
the *Berliner*. The difference is that they tend to be fluffier, that they
do not usually contain flavoring other than vanilla, that they tend to be
injected with fruit jelly or applesauce, and that they can be served
sprinkled with powdered sugar or are glazed. In the past they would be
yeast-risen, lately mostly made with baking powder and/or baking soda. Also,
in some traditions they used to be fried in lard.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Berliner_(pastry)

These are also eaten in Denmark and are called *berliner* there as well.

Oliebollen seem to me like a cross between them and the Louisiana French *
baigner*. Berliners are the closest relatives of the American jelly
doughnut, I believe, are more closely related to the Polish *pączki* (sg. *
pączek*), the Russian *pončiki* (*пончики**, sg. pončik* *пончик*), and *
pyški* (*пышки*, sg. *pyšik* *пышик*), the Ukrainian *pampušky* (*пампушки*,
sg. *pampušyk* *пампушик*), the Lithuanian *spurgos*, and the Ashkenazi
Jewish Hanukkah treat called *sufganiyot* (סופגניות, sg. *sufganiyah*
סופגנייה) in Hebrew, *pontshkes* (פאָנטשקעס, sg. *pontshke* פאָנטשקע) in
Yiddish.

In our North German New Year's Eve tradition, one of the *Berliners* in a
batch might be filled with mustard instead of jelly or applesauce, and
everyone hopes not to be the unlucky one that gets it, for it may be a bad
omen for the coming year.

Traditionally, there are also games that deal with reading fortunes. One of
the favorites is *Bliegeten* (German *Bleigießen* "pouring of lead") in
which liquid lead is poured from a spoon into cold water. The pourer's
fortune is supposed to be symbolized by the solidified shape. Less dangerous
alternatives are tin pouring and wax pouring.

http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bleigie%C3%9Fen

Happy Holiday!