LL-L "Delectables" 2008.12.31 (02) [D/E]

Wed Dec 31 15:44:23 UTC 2008

L O W L A N D S - L - 31 December 2008 - Volume 02

From: Jacqueline Bungenberg de Jong <Dutchmatters at comcast.net>
Subject: LL-L "Traditions" 2008.12.30 (05) [E]

Yes Ron, Appelflappen are eaten on New Years Eve ( We say Oudjaarsavond too)
as are Oliebollen. What they sell here in the stores as applefritters has
nothing to do with apple beignets. Apple fritters are more closely related
to oliebollen. They are made of solid dough rather than from batter. When
you eat appelflappen you eat mostly fruit, covered by a thin layer of
browned batter. To show you that you are forgiven for your "faux pas" I will
add the old family recipe. It is lush. Happy New Year. Jacqueline

*Apple beignets (Appelflappen*)

Ingredients: for 6-8 people. The recipe may be halved for a smaller family.

*Batter:*

2 1/2 cup all purpose flour

1/2 tsp salt

1 cake ( 0.6 oz) compressed yeast

3 tbs concentrated apple juice

1 cup flat  beer

2 tbs vegetable oil

2 egg whites stiffly beaten

 *Apple marinade:*

6 large apples, cored, peeled and sliced horizontally to in 3/8 inch slices

( I prefer Jonathans or Jonagolds, but Granny Smith will also do )

6 tbs sugar

1 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon

1/2 cup lemon juice

1/4 cup concentrated apple juice

1tbs brandy or Calvados

Oil for deep frying

Brown paper for draining the fried beignets
Powdered sugar

1. In a large bowl make a batter of the first 6 ingredients, cover the bowl
with a towel and put away in a warm place for the batter to rise. This will
take about 4 hrs. If the batter is too thick you may thin it with some more
of the beer. Then you add the stiffly beaten egg whites.

2. Marinate the apple slices in a plastic bag in the juices, sugar, cinnamon
and brandy until the batter has risen. Then drain the apples, use the syrup
for another dessert.

3. Heat enough oil to 380˚ F for frying ( about 2 1/2 inch in a heavy  pot).
Do not let the temperature drop during the frying process.

4. Dip the drained apple slices into the batter and then drop them one or
two at a time  in the hot oil with the help of a long fork or  he handle of
a wooden spoon.  Fry the beignets for 2 min. then turn them over if
necessary and fry till crisp and golden. Drain the beignets in a colander
and then on brown paper. Serve with powdered sugar