LL-L "Language politics" 2008.02.02 (02) [E]

Sat Feb 2 19:00:41 UTC 2008

L O W L A N D S - L  -  02 February 2008 - Volume 02

From: Mike Wintzer <k9mw at yahoo.com>
Subject: LL-L "Language politics" 2008.02.01 (05) [E]

Hi LLers,
Ron wrote:

"Nueva España"?! Are you kiddin' me?! With that you'd be booed out of *both
*countries.

Are you sure, Ron?
Judging by the - albeit small - sample I have,
Latinos (I am following accepted nomenclature) in
Florida like to be identified (along with their language)
not by their country of origin (Puertorican,
Chilean etc.) but as "Spanish" (sic!).
But back to the LLs.....
Kumpelmenten, Mike Wintzer

----------

From: Ingmar Roerdinkholder <ingmar.roerdinkholder at WORLDONLINE.NL>

Hahaha, now we know where you stand, Reginaldo. Okay, we'll keep our
grubby little European fingers off the Americas, as soon as you take your
grubby fat American fingers off Europe and the Lowlands. Hasta la vista,
baby ;-)
Ingmar

Ron wrote:
You guys keep your grubby little European fingers off our love-fest! Mexico
and the US need each other, and we let Canada play too. ;-)

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Language politics

Mike, Florida is ... How shall I say? *¿Un caso muy, muy especial?* Nuff
said about that.

Oh, and nice try, Ingmar, my clever little left-behind European brother!

Tune in! Colonialism is out ... well, now that it's a done deal. Heritage
continuation and reclamation is in. We transplants to the "New" World have
it all. We are the famous Huddled Masses that arrived in the (other) Lands
of Hope and Glory. If you like it or not, we get to stick our mighty,
purified tentacles wherever we please.

¡Viva México! ¡Viva America! O Canada! Nkosi sikelel' iAfrika uit die blou
van onse hemel sounds the call to come together, Setjhaba sa South Afrika,
and united we shall stand! Manaakitia mai Aotearoa a.k.a. New Zealand, and
Australia rich and rare! So there!