LL-L "Delectables" 2008.02.03 (03) [E]

Sun Feb 3 19:24:47 UTC 2008

L O W L A N D S - L  -  03 February 2008 - Volume 05
the html toggle at the bottom of the archived page.

From: Theo Homan <theohoman at yahoo.com>
Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2008.02.01 (03) [D/E]

> From: Luc Hellinckx <luc.hellinckx at gmail.com>
> Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2008.01.31 (05) [E]

[...]
> The evolution in English is interesting; first
> man/wer/wif for respectively
> mankind/man/woman. Then "wer" became obsolete and
> was replaced by "man".
> "Wif" became "wif-man" > "woman".
[...]

Hi,

I think it is safe to say that Oldgermanic *man* and
*mens* were designations for both men and women. [And
with some phantasy: maybe *man* was used for the
adults.]
So Oldenglish "wif-man" > "woman" is fully
understandable.

There are traces left:
In Icelandic 'maður' still indicates man and woman.
Worldwide in translations this is not well understood;
so in the phrase 'Það er maður á veginum' in
general they translate 'there is a man on the road'
instead of 'there is someone on the road'. If you want
to say 'man' -and the context is not explicit- you
have to say something like: 'karlsmaður'.

Moreover: I think that the old 'neutral' connotation
of *man* and *mens* are still surviving in old
expressions in germanic languages, e.g. in dutch 'een
manshoog paard' = 'a horse as high as a person'.

vr.gr.
Theo Homan

----------

From: Theo Homan <theohoman at yahoo.com>

Hi,

Thanks, Reinhard and others, for all the information
about swedes/rutabagas.
Maybe they will be more digestive in future.

We may not forget that in Germany they are also known
as „Mecklenburger Ananas"; so the people in
Mecklenburg are real gourmets.

But -I hesitate to ask- but is there some brilliance
left among our lowlands-colleagues to say something
sensible about a other lowlandish word for swedes:
Wruken. Any idea of the word-family?

vr.gr.
Theo Homan

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Etymology

Thanks, Theo.

There isn't much brilliance wanting to come out right now ...

You want sensible? I can only think of *wrukken* (*wrucken*) 'to struggle'
(originally 'to fight'). Are swedes hard to get out of the ground by any
chance, so that you need to *wruk* with them or *wruk* them out?  Apparently
it's *wruk* or *wruuk* depending on dialects. I know that these words are
used in dialects of Mecklenburg and farther east.

Ah ... but wait! Is that some brilliance I'm sensing? It is!!! It must be a
Slavic loan!

Swede/Rutabaga:
Belarusan: *б**ручка bručka*
Russian: *брюква brjukva*
Polish: *brukiew*
     and ... tadah!
Kashubian: *wrëk* [vrək]

And in some areas (which?) in Germany swedes are called *Dorschen*. I have
no idea about this one.