LL-L "Media" 2008.02.12 (03) [E]

Tue Feb 12 17:19:15 UTC 2008

 http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands.list at gmail.com

 Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

 Administration: lowlands.list at gmail.com or sassisch at yahoo.com

L O W L A N D S - L  - 12 February 2008 - Volume 03
the html toggle at the bottom of the archived page.

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Media

Dear Lowlanders,

Last week I mentioned the North German Broadcasting TV series "De Welt op
Platt" which looks at Low Saxon language use around the world. If you read
German you can find out more about it here: http://tinyurl.com/2uh4pd

There is still a decent chance of me participating in the planned California
section. Irrespective of whether or not I do, I invite other Low Saxon
("Platt") speakers in California to contact me if they are willing to
consider participating. If I do participate it will probably be in or near
San Francisco visiting Chinatown and other neighborhoods. It would be great
if at least one other speaker could be featured in the area. An association
would be even better. Even if you don't qualify yourselves, perhaps you know
people that do. I suppose that Southern California will be included also.

Here is an update: The filming of this particular program will take place in
June 2008, and it will be broadcast in June 2009.

The documentaries are of high, professional quality and are really quite
impressive when watched in DVD format. (I just got copies of all programs
finished so far.) Each program is introduced bilingually *in situ*, in
German by Julia Westlake, and in Low Saxon by Yared Dibaba, a bit like a
bilingual conversation. The general format is footage about place and people
woven around chiefly Low Saxon interviews in pertinent locations. Everything
Low Saxon is subtitled in German.

These documentaries are produced with the average viewer in mind. There is
nothing particularly "high-level," just talk about place, background and
history on a personal and/or community level. The general message of the
series is that Low Saxon is *not*, as commonly assumed, limited to certain
individuals and communities in Northern Germany but is still being used in
many parts of the world. Programs about East Coast USA, Midwest USA, Seattle
(USA), Paraguay, Brazil (Pomerode), Australia (Sydney), South Africa (New
Hanover and Hermannsburg), Namibia, and Siberia have been completed and most
have been broadcast. Cape Town (South Africa), Adelaide (South Australia),
Chile, China (Beijing and Shanghai) and California are currently at the
planning stages or in the works, and others may follow. If you know anyone
relevant in these planned locations or anywhere else, please let me know and
I will pass it on.

Thanks in advance4.