L-L "Media" 2008.02.12 (07) [E]

Wed Feb 13 00:33:09 UTC 2008

L O W L A N D S - L  - 12 February 2008 - Volume 07
the html toggle at the bottom of the archived page.

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Media

I wrote about the NDR series "De Welt op Platt":

The documentaries are of high, professional quality and are really quite
impressive when watched in DVD format. (I just got copies of all programs
finished so far.) Each program is introduced bilingually *in situ*, in
German by Julia Westlake, and in Low Saxon by Yared Dibaba, a bit like a
bilingual conversation. The general format is footage about place and people
woven around chiefly Low Saxon interviews in pertinent locations. Everything
Low Saxon is subtitled in German.

I just watched most of the installment about Low Saxon in Siberia (Altai
Region). This is about some of the remaining Mennonites, namely those that
have not (yet) emigrated.

So you can hear both Northern Low Saxon (*Plattdüütsch*) from Yared Dibaba
and Mennonite Low Saxon (*Plautdietsch*) from some of the interviewed
locals. They understand each other just fine. (I have no problem
understanding the locals either.) Some of them speak half LS and half
German, especially with Julia Westlake whose job is the German side of
things. (Knowledge of German is still being passed on.)

What is different in this installment is that some of the German monologues
are subtitled in Low Saxon. However, this only happens in the beginning.
Whoever was in charge of this must have given up when mixing began ...

At any rate, this is a very interesting documentary about everyday life of a
rural Mennonite community on the steppes of Siberia. Some of the people
interviewed had visited Germany, usually because relatives had emigrated
there. However, they make it clear that they are content with life in
Siberia and consider.

I just did a general search and found out that in the Netherlands the price
for a package is Euro 18.75 (which is quite reasonable I think). You need to
check with various suppliers. For instance, the combined installments about
Sydney, South Africa, Kansas and Brazil has the ISBN code 4-031778-710293. I
got copies of the reew for Euro 25.95 and second-hand for Euro 16.99. (
http://tinyurl.com/25kqkz)