LL-L "Phonology" 2008.02.16 (01) [E]

Sat Feb 16 23:16:14 UTC 2008

L O W L A N D S - L  - 16 February 2008 - Volume 01
the html toggle at the bottom of the archived page.

From: Ingmar Roerdinkholder <ingmar.roerdinkholder at WORLDONLINE.NL>
Subject: LL-L "Phonology" 2008.02.15 (03) [E]

Yes, that an incorrect but very popular myth, especially among Zeeland
people themselves.
If we compare Afrikaans, Dutch and Zeeuws, we'll find that Afrikaans is in
almost all phonologic features closer to Dutch and the Hollandic dialects
than to Zeeuws.

In Zeeuws, Dutch H is dropped, not so in Afrikaans which keeps H
In Zeeuws, Dutch G [x] is pronounced H, not in Afrikaans where it's G [x]
In Zeeuws, Dutch UI is pronounced [y], not so in Afrikaans where it's UI
In Zeeuws, Dutch Y/IJ is pronounced [i], not in Afrikaans where it's Y
In Zeeuws, Dutch -EN [@] is pronounced [n], not in Afr. where it's -E [@]
In Zeeuws, Dutch JOU, NOU with [au] is JOE, NOE with [u] in Afr. JOU, NOU
In Zeeuws, Dutch AA [a:] is pronounced AE [E:]/[e:], in Afr. AA [a:], [Q:]

The only thing Afrikaans and Zeeuws have in common is the pronunciation of
EE and OO as falling diphthongs, but in older Hollandic dialects that was
the prono too, so probably Afrikaans has it from there.

I know very well out of my own experience how Zeeuws and Dutch with a
Zeeuws accent sound, because my mother spoke it with her family all the
time, and I can assure you it's very different from Afrikaans.
But the myth is persistent, even my mom things it's true...

Ingmar

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Phonology

Dear Lowlanders,

I assume many of you remember the thesis according to which most or all
non-European "Dutch"-based language varieties are primarily based on
Zeelandic (*Zeêuws*). This makes sense historically, considering Zeeland's
seafaring traditions. And there appear to be linguistic indications as
well,
some of which Marco Evenhuis told us about two or three years ago.

I have been listening to the Zeelandic and West Flemish translations of our
wren story, since we are dealing with closely related varieties that ought
to be treated as one group were it not for political distinctions):