LL-L "Songs" 2008.01.01 (04) [E]

Tue Jan 1 19:52:50 UTC 2008

L O W L A N D S - L  -  01 January 2008 - Volume 04

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Songs

Dear (I s'ppose) Lowlanders,

I have the displeasure of officially declaring the supposed song contest
extravaganza *u**n grand échec* (a great flop), or a "fizzogh," to use an
Australian term.

Am I disappointed? Yes. Am I devastated or "mad" over it? Definitely not.
Win some, lose some.

Maybe I was on a solo kick, and many of you thought it was silly. According
to personal reports, three people of the poetic persuasion found it too hard
to accommodate the entire Lowlands (geographically and "spiritually") in one
song, and I take this as solace of sorts.

So the only two submissions were my own ... ;-) Oopsy-daisy!

I am going further out on a limb by resrting to the alternative of
displaying them in my corner of the Lowlands-L Gallery:
http://lowlands-l.net/gallery/hahn.php

Specifically:

   - *"Song of the Lowlands"*
   http://lowlands-l.net/gallery/hahn_lowlands-song.php
   Allow time for the sound file to load, especially if you have a
   dial-up connection!
   MP3 file: http://lowlands-l.net/gallery/sounds/lowlands-song.mp3
   Sheet music:
   http://lowlands-l.net/gallery/hahn_lowlands-song_music.php

   - *"Lowlands on My Mind"*
   http://lowlands-l.net/gallery/hahn_lowlands_mind.php
   There's no music for this one as yet. Suggestions and contributions
   are welcome (though I'm learning not to hold my breath).
   I admit that when I wrote it I had the copyrighted tune of another
   song in mind (that shall be nameless, at least for now.)

I used non-American spelling for the songs, deliberately so, in an attempt
to "disguise" the identity of the originator. Little good that did me. ;-)
And, yes, I *can* use non-American spelling if I want to.

I don't have any idea if these "submissions" fit the bill and how they will
sit with "you lot" (which I am calling you because some spanking would be in
order). I would be interested to know, yes, also to read yous honest
appraisals. But don't do me any favors with flattery to make up for your
naughtiness!

If any of you think that either or both of these songs have merit, and if
you are of the songster persuasion, I'd be please to talk about recorded
performances. But again, I'm not holding my breath.

One person sent me one and a half submissions for the performance category.
My strong suggestion is that he display it in his own, not yet arranged
corner of the gallery (http://lowlands-l.net/gallery/). In that case I need
to hear from him and also need a self-intro (preferably with a picture).

Regards (I s'ppose) ...