LL-L "Etymology" 2008.01.04 (03) [E]

Fri Jan 4 16:06:43 UTC 2008

L O W L A N D S - L  -  04 January 2008 - Volume 03

From: Elsie Zinsser <ezinsser at icon.co.za>
Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2008.01.03 (05) [E]

Hi all,

It fascinates me that Afrikaans does not seem to have a cognate of

the *Indo-European: ***leudh-* 'to go freely', 'to grow'** > *leudho *
'people'.

Are A. lid / lede (member/s) perhaps related?

Regards,

E Zinsser
----------

From: R. F. Hahn < sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Etymology

Hi, Elsie!

I find that very strange too. A case of lexical simplification by defaulting
to *mense* perhaps.

What about Zeelandic? Are cognates of *lui* widespread there?

By the way, for some strange reason the cognate word for "people" (Old
English *léode*, Old Northumbrian *líoda*) seems to have disappeared from
English and Scots also. In English, it disappeared at the end of the Middle
English period (e.g., *Fra hys kyn till ane wncouth lede*, Wintoun
Chronicles, 1425). In Scots it held on to the early modern stage (e.g., *For
thai me hayt mar na Sotheroun leid*, Henry Wallace, 1714).