LL-L "Names" 2008.01.10 (10) [E/LS]

Fri Jan 11 00:50:10 UTC 2008

L O W L A N D S - L  -  10 January 2008 - Volume 10

From: M.-L. Lessing <marless at gmx.de>
Subject: LL-L "Names" 2008.01.10 (07) [E/LS]

Moin, Ji Leven all! Ellhorn is en Boom. In Hamborg gifft't den Allhornring.
Un mennig anner Straten heet so ähnlich. Na min Weten is avers nich de Eller
meent, sünnern de Hollerbusch, de ja dusend Naams hett.

Hartlich

Marlou

----------

From: jonny <jonny.meibohm at arcor.de>

Beste Ron,

you wrote about 'Ellh*ö*rn':

> It *would* make sense if Ellhoern were a family name. Do you know?

Just having done a look into Yahoo (I don't often use Google because of its
monopoly position) I didn't find a single strike for 'Ellh*oe*rn', but more
than 54,000 for 'Ellh*o*rn'.

No- for my opinion it is another striking proof for (all these criminal ;-))
non-native officials ruling our Low Saxon language (in this special case it
must have happened approximately during the 70ies of the 20th c.).
So you might understand better all my objections against Low Saxon location
names 're-invented' and 'new-prescribed' in our times by definitely
non-native, self-proclaimed experts...

And it could have been so easy for that godfathers: you can find streets
named 'Ellhorn-...' (meaning E: 'elder'[-bush]) in lots of villages around
here- as far as I know *never* mixed up with 'Hoern' ('edge').

*Question:* why don't the people living in this street object against this
name? *Answer:* they don't know better, and they are not at all interested
in Low Saxon. A bitter truth!
And so the name will not be changed in the straightforwarded future.

Kumpelmenten t'rüch!

Jonny Meibohm