LL-L "Language varieties" 2008.01.15 (02) [E]

Tue Jan 15 15:19:32 UTC 2008

 http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands.list at gmail.com

 Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

 Administration: lowlands.list at gmail.com or sassisch at yahoo.com

L O W L A N D S - L  -  14 January 2008 - Volume 02

From: Paul Finlow-Bates <wolf_thunder51 at yahoo.co.uk>
Subject: LL-L "Language varieties" 2008.01.14 (03) [E]

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Language varieties

(In discussing geographical names of languages and whether a language
"belongs" to a continent):
The European Song Contests includes Israel but excludes other Asian
countries. Hello! Do I need to go on arguing that all this is a bunch of
culturally and religiously biased and bigoted hogwash?

I take on board most of what you wrote Reinhard; however, a minor quibble:
It is the Euro*vision* Song Contest, and it is so named because the original
sponsor and organiser was a corporation called Eurovision - it could as
easily have been Acme Song Contest or Bill and Ben's Song Contest.  And
it doesn't exclude Asia; India had an entry one year.  They just don't
normally take much interest.  Only Eastern and Central Europeans take it
seriously anyway, many acts seeing it as a springboard to international
stardom.  No self-respecting popular British act would be seen dead at it
these days.  The millions of British viewers who tune in every year to
watch, do so purely to hear Terry Wogan mercilessly taking the p**s out of
it.

Paul Finlow-Bates

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>

Thanks, Paul. I had no idea it wasn't meant to be limited to Europe.