LL-L "Language education" 2008.01.15 (06) [E]

Tue Jan 15 19:55:47 UTC 2008

L O W L A N D S - L  -  14 January 2008 - Volume 06

From: Elsie Zinsser [mailto:ezinsser at icon.co.za]
Subject: LL-L "Language education" 2008.01.11 (06) [E]

Hi all,

Marcel, Hermann Giliomee shows that Afrikaans on SABC TV has been cut to 5%
in total. I have not seen any Afrikaans children programmes on public TV.

The irony, of course, according to Giliomee, is that Afrikaans speakers tend
to pay their TV licences. (Heck, I was hounded for years to pay my husband's
TV licence and after the SABC lawyers threatened the deceased with a *sub
poena*, I promised to arrange for a séance.)

I have not watched KYKNet.

Elsie Zinsser

Are you serious? Is there no more complete Afrikaans children's programmes
on the public channels?
What do you think of KykNet? For the people on the list who don't know what
KykNet is - it is an all-Afrikaans satellite channel for DSTV-subcribers
only.