LL-L "History" 2008.01.17 (01) [E]

Thu Jan 17 15:24:16 UTC 2008

 http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands.list at gmail.com

 Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

 Administration: lowlands.list at gmail.com or sassisch at yahoo.com

L O W L A N D S - L  -  17 January 2008 - Volume 01

From: Paul Finlow-Bates <wolf_thunder51 at yahoo.co.uk>
Subject: LL-L "History" 2008.01.16 (08) [E]

Ron wrote:

> The state of Saxony and its German dialects have nothing to do with
> all this. The name "Saxony" was "stolen" by them, and it took the
> real Saxons a couple of centuries to get over it (and some
> obviously still haven't ... ;-) ). This name usurpation in
> conjunction with poor education has led to much confusion in
> Germany and stands in the way of ordinary people adopting "Saxon"
> with regard to the true Saxon-derived language.

Kumpelmenten!
Reinhard/Ron

Scotland took its name from some Irish tribes that most modern Scots have
little linguistic connection with.  The Angles were far from the biggest N
German tribe in England - and probably as many, if not more Angles settled
in what's now Scotland. Maybe Scotland should be called England, and England
should be Saxland!

Russia (Swedish Russ), Bulgaria (Bulgars), Romania (Romans) are all examples
of places named after people whose numerical influence is small to
negligible.  The Macedonia of Alexander the Great and his dad Phillip was a
Hellenic land; the Former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia is dominantly
Slavic-speaking - and endlessly arguing with Greece over the name.

Places are called what they are called, and it needn't follow that their
names should reflect current ethnic or linguistic status. After all, very
few people in the two American continents have any connection to Mr. and
Mrs. Vespucci's son Amerigo!

Paul Finlow-Bates

---------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: History

Thanks, Paul.

What you say is undoubtedly so. However, what Joachim, I and others before
have been trying to convey is that in some cases this creates complications
in naming languages.

This particular piece of history that Joachim outlined is pretty much
unknown among ordinary Germans, and they are therefore surprised about the
use of "Saxon" (even "Low Saxon") in connection with "Platt." Most of them
aren't even taught that the ancestral language is Old Saxon, for they only
hear about it, if at all, as "Old Low German," due to Germanizing renaming
it in more recent times.