LL-L "Phonology" 2008.01.22 (01) [E]

Tue Jan 22 16:04:44 UTC 2008

L O W L A N D S - L  -  22 January 2008 - Volume 01

From: Joachim Kreimer-de Fries <Kreimer at jpberlin.de>
Subject: LL-L "Phonology" 2008.01.22 [E]

[ʒ] in early versions of IPA or former Phonological Alphabets

Helo Lowlanders,

I am planning to re-edit the dissertation of Niblett from 1913 about
the Grammar (Phonology) of the Osnabrück-Westphalian dialect
(Osnabrücker Grammatik).

Niblett used an IPA-like Phonological Alphabet, but I don't know
which one.

My problem is that he uses [ʒ], which in IPA is the symbol for the
voiced postalveolar fricative "yogh"/husher, in many cases for the
Westphalian "g" as in "Gaaren" (garden) or "Egger" (Eggs),
"friggen" (to mary).

In my opinion and knowledge the right IPA-symbol in these case should
be:

[ɣ], i.e. that for the voiced velar fricative "large gamma" (SAMPA G).

To be shure in this and to give the right comment to the future
readers I would like to know, from which early IPA version or former
Phonological System Niblett's use of [ʒ] (=SAMPA Z) for the velar
fricative Westphalian G might be derived.

I have noticed this kind of use of [ʒ] already in other (german)
texts of that time (e. g. Schönhoff, Emsländische Grammatik,
Heidelberg 1908). In all cases there is no indication to the
phonological system used. Probably that has been a matter of course
in that time, at least in Germany.

==> Does anybody know or have an idea, which phonological alphabet
that could have been and where I can find it?

Goutgaun!
Joachim Kreimer-de Fries, Berlin

From: R. F. Hahn < sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Phonology

Hi, Joachim!

I have a feeling that the publication of those books preceded the time of
standardization. People followed their own groups' little systems, if not
simply their own. For Germanic languages, people liked to use Germanic
symbols such as Old English *yogh* and Old English and Norse *thorn* (þ).