LL-L "Phonology" 2008.01.22 (03) [E]

Tue Jan 22 18:34:44 UTC 2008

L O W L A N D S - L  -  22 January 2008 - Volume 03

From: Jan Strunk <strunk at linguistics.rub.de>
Subject: LL-L "Phonology" 2008.01.22 (01) [E]

Hello!

As far as I know, the velar sounds in the middle of words
such as friggen or egger should be stops and not
fricatives in most Westphalian dialects.
In those dialects that I know a little bit about
(Münsterland and Mark), Gaaren would be pronounced with an initial
fricative (or maybe approximant).

So my next question would be, does Niblett ever
systematically use ordinary "g", too?
I am asking this to exclude the possibility that "ʒ"
is simply only a graphemic variant of "g".

Guedgaon!

Jan Strunk
strunk at linguistics.rub.de

P.S.: I would also ask the people at the
Deutscher Sprachatlas project http://www.uni-marburg.de/fb09/dsa/
since part of their data goes back even further to
Georg Wenker.