LL-L "Phonology" 2008.01.22 (07) [E/LS]

Wed Jan 23 00:48:21 UTC 2008

L O W L A N D S - L  -  22 January 2008 - Volume 07

From: Joachim Kreimer-de Fries <Kreimer at jpberlin.de>
Subject: LL-L "Phonology" 2008.01.22 [E/G]

Thanks so far, Jan and Ron,

22.01.2008, 19:34 Jan Strunk:

> So my next question would be, does Niblett ever
> systematically use ordinary "g", too?
> I am asking this to exclude the possibility that "ʒ"
> is simply only a graphemic variant of "g".

The latter hardly can be the case, despite that there is no "g" in
Niblett's phonological writing (exclusively applied by him to the
Osna-Westphalian words, not for Old Saxon, Middle Westphalian etc).
But he uses also [ŋ] for palatal-nasal "ng" [ziŋn] = assimilation of
g to the preceding n/[ŋ] MLS: "singen", and [ŋk] for the same
graphem in the final sound: [spøŋk] Westphalian "sprönk" G "(er)
sprang", and more over:

[χ] for german written "g" in the final sound (when not nasal =
preceded by "n"):  [niχ] "nich" (Klöntrup's writing 1894: "nig"),
all adjective endings on -ig, as westphalian "wehmöödig/weymöydig"
etc.,

and before voiceless consonants:[họyχtɘ] "Höygte" MLS "högede",

and cit. "pløχt 'gepflügt' (zu pløʒn)" (Niblett).

Jan further:
> As far as I know, the velar sounds in the middle of words
> such as friggen or egger should be stops and not
> fricatives in most Westphalian dialects.

Exactly to that question Niblett wrote:

"Ein neues mwf. g hat sich entwickelt aus dem palatalen
halbkonsonantischen Nachschlag von and. ī, ōi, ei, āi vor Vokalen
(...) sniʒn [written: sniggen - jk] "schneien"; bløʒn [written:
blöggen - jk] "blühen";..."

In his Introduction Niblett regretfully admids the influence of the
High German pronunciation especially in the younger Generation:
"Statt der Spirans ʒ hört man sehr häufig den Verschlußlaut g,...
Die unverfälschte Aussprache findet man fast nur noch bei den
älteren Leuten auf dem Lande und in kleinen Dörfern."

These are the reasons why I came to the conclusion that Niblett's use
of "ʒ" must have meaned IPA [ɣ], SAMPA G.

I can't tell you to what extent or ever this "echt-westphälische"
prononciation is still in use in the region of Osnabrück. My father
still used it in his rare speaking Westphalian. But anyway my
motivation to re-publish Niblett and Lyra is the reconstruction of
"classical" Osna-Westphalian.

> P.S.: I would also ask the people at the
> Deutscher Sprachatlas project http://www.uni-marburg.de/fb09/dsa/
> since part of their data goes back even further to
> Georg Wenker.

Danke, daar weerd ik nu miine Frauge auk henstüürn!

Goutgaon!
Joachim Kreimer-de Fries