LL-L "Etymology" 2008.07.14 (02) [E]

Mon Jul 14 17:22:13 UTC 2008

L O W L A N D S - L - 11 July 2008 - Volume 02

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Etymology

Lowlanders,

Something weird seems to have happened with "one" and "any". As far as I
know, "any" comes from "one" (+ig). The vowels are different, one round, one
not. Due to what? Different dialects? Phonological processes?

In Scots it's the other way around: *ane* [e(:)n] 'one', *ony* ~ *onie* [o
(:)ne] 'any'.

Middle Saxon has *eyn* for "one" and *eynig* for "any", similar to Dutch *
een* 'one' and *enig* 'some(one)'

In some Modern Low Saxon dialects, the German calque *enig* (*eynig*) has
the German meaning, corresponding to *œvereens* (*oever eyns*) in other
dialects. *Enig* in the sense of 'any' does not seem to be used any longer.
I assume this is a result of German interference. Usually, just *een* (*eyn*)
is used for 'any'.

P.S.: By the way, Middle Saxon *eynig* and Modern German *einig* are false
friends in that the latter means 'agreed', 'at one', 'of one mind'. (Or, as
Mrs. Slocum of "Are You Being Served" liked to say, "And I'm unanimous in
that.")