LL-L "Delectables" 2008.07.23 (02) [E/Spanish]

Wed Jul 23 20:46:57 UTC 2008

L O W L A N D S - L  - 23 July 2008 - Volume 02

From: Fonken, Gael M. [foga0301 at stcloudstate.edu] <foga0301 at stcloudstate.edu

Subject: delectables?

Greetings to everyone,

     I've been studying Spanish these days and found this passage [below] in
a BBC Mundo article on Mexican agricultural politics and the recent
adaptations in marketing strategies associated with the free trade
agreements.  I'm wondering if anyone could explain the attraction of certain
European countries to this sort of meat?  In English it's speaking of using
horse, donkey, and mule meat [carne]… to make sausage [embutidos]. I'm
guessing this is a cultural thing and not just a new source of cheap meat,
but I'm not sure… It puzzles me. At any rate, the high number of cognates in
this passage should make it fairly legible to English-speakers… Do you know
what's up here? Minnesotans here in my state of the US are also noted for
their sausage consumption and for the [im]famous creation we call SPAM.

Gael Fonken.

*México y la UE: de cal y arena *Miércoles, 23 de julio de 2008

http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/spanish/business/newsid_7521000/7521212.stm

*Hasta carne de mula*

…Igualmente muestra una evolución importante la carne de caballo, burro y
mula, comúnmente utilizada en la Ciudad de México para alimentar a los
perros, pero que tiene gran demanda en *Francia, Italia y Bélgica* para la
preparación de embutidos.

My question in [broken] Spanish: Porque ellos han ser embuchados los embutidos
de Europa con carne de mula?