LL-L "Etymology" 2008.07.25 (02) [E]

Fri Jul 25 14:38:50 UTC 2008

L O W L A N D S - L  - 25 July 2008 - Volume 02

From: Ingmar Roerdinkholder <ingmar.roerdinkholder at WORLDONLINE.NL>
Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2008.07.24 (05) [E]

Possibly... but I rather thought is might have to do with Portuguese "cu"
= ass, buttocks, if I remember right, since the Portuguese were more
likely to be into the slavery business. And many Portuguese words and
expressions occur in the languages of (North, Central and South) Americans
with ancestors who were brought there as slaves from Africa.
The final -n in coon I explain by the great tendence of nasality in both
African languages and the newly formed pidgins and creoles of its speakers
in the Americas.

Ingmar

From: heatherrendall at tiscali.co.uk <heatherrendall at tiscali.co.uk>
Subject: LL-L "Lexicon" 2008.07.24 (02) [E]

from heatherrendall at tiscali.co.uk

Robert referred to the derogatory word "coon".

I have often wondered whether this wasn't derived from the Welsh plural
word
for 'dogs'  cwn   It is the kind of expression a Welsh speaking 17th-18th
century slave driver might use in a derogatory fashion... what do you
think?

Heather