LL-L "Songs" 2008.06.04 (03) [E]

Wed Jun 4 17:12:12 UTC 2008

 http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands.list at gmail.com

 Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

 Administration: lowlands.list at gmail.com or sassisch at yahoo.com

L O W L A N D S - L - 04 June 2008 - Volume 03

From: Ingmar Roerdinkholder <ingmar.roerdinkholder at WORLDONLINE.NL>
Subject: Songs

A guy from another mailing list has a question about two songs.
Does someone you recognize it?

"Greetings to all!  I'm looking for assistance from any Dutch or Frisian
speakers on the list.  Because it's off-topic to the list, I'd like to
invite anyone to respond to my personal email instead of the entire
list ... I'm not a fluent Dutch speaker (in fact, I know very little Dutch
at all beyond the basics).  But my grandmother is the daughter of a Dutch
immigrant, and she was raised as an "American Dutch girl" in Iowa. She
just celebrated her 94th birthday, and we've seen a decline in her mental
faculties over the last decade or so.  But one thing she still remembers --
 are the old children's songs that she heard as a girl from her father.
She remembered one song well enough that she could even sing it to my two-
month-old daughter when we came to visit recently -- both in Dutch and
English! Unfortunately, because of her mental condition, she wasn't able
to write the song down.  But she dictated the original words (along with
what I think is a non-literal English translation) to my mother, who did
her best to write down the Dutch sounds phonetically.  We have no idea if
her phonetic guesses are even close to the original Dutch words. Another
complication:  the language might not actually be Dutch, but Frisian,
since her father came to Iowa from Ternaard, in Friesland.  But whichever
language it is, I'd like to find the original words to the song, as well
as a more literal English translation.  Here goes our best attempt at
writing down the song.  (I'm mostly going with the phonetic spelling from
my mother's transcription, rather than guessing what the true words were.
I have a basic clue about Dutch spelling, but I don't know a wit about
Frisian, so I'd rather not even try.)
Original Dutch(?):
Suza nona Popkin  -- (popkje?)
Kelta lyin gropka  -- (gropkje?)
Mam in huis Sofear van hoosSee caneet verrupke(Zij kan niet?)

English gloss: Just a little calf,thereLying in the straw thereMother and
father so far from the houseThey can't hear him crying  Thanks in advance
for any direction anyone can provide! Best regards, :

Chris