LL-L "Phonology" 2008.06.07 (07) [E]

Sat Jun 7 22:05:09 UTC 2008

L O W L A N D S - L  - 07 June 2008 - Volume 07

From: Ed Alexander <edsells at cogeco.ca>
Subject: LL-L "Phonology" 2008.06.07 (01) [E]

At 01:08 PM 07/06/2008, Fred van Brederode wrote:

The past two weeks we had relations from the US in our home. Discussing the
trips to be made, one of the subjects was the distance of such trips. On
this side of the ocean cars measure distance in kilometers. Nothing special
so far. It is the pronunciation of the word kilometer that fascinated me, as
it had many times before. The visit from the US brought it back to my
attention. etc.

If I am not mistaken, originally the idea was that for measurements greater
than one meter, the Greek pronunciation would be used, such as in iambic
pentameter, odometer, speedometer, etc.  For measurements less than one
meter, the Latin was to be employed, as in millimeter, centimeter, usw.

BTW, on this side of the ocean, we also measure things in metric (and indeed
the U.S. standard is based on the metric standard, BION).  In fact, the US
is the ONLY country on this side of the world which does not measure highway
distances in meters.  I think the other country not commonly using metric is
Burma.

All that being said, the Canadian government in its infinite wisdom decided
some thirty years ago that everyone should use the Latin pronunciation for
measurements greater than one meter.

If your US friends are confused, they are not alone.  However, if they think
that the US system is simpler, just give them this quiz.  Which is heavier,
an ounce of feathers or an ounce of gold.  Wrong.  Gold is measured in
apothecary ounces, which are heaver than regular ounces.  Next question:
which is heavier, a pound of feathers or a pound of gold.  Wrong again:
there are only twelve ounces in an apothecary pound, and sixteen in the
regular.

To which they will answer, "If God wanted us to go metric, he would have
given us ten Apostles instead of twelve."

However, Canadians are somewhat used to living with two systems, because
before metrification, we used the Imperial system, which had smaller ounces
and bigger gallons, different cup sizes (measuring cups, idiot), and
different measuring spoon sizes.

The bottom line is I brought myself into the situation of finding both ways
of pronunciation odd. I either do it completely wrong, or I seem to
show off knowing
it all better. Avoiding to speak in terms of kilometers is no option in this
country……

I usually make my point by telling people that I have 120,000 KILO-meters
showing on my ODO-meter.

Ed Alexander, Hamilton, Canada.  That's CAN-da.