LL-L "Resources" 2008.06.11 (01) [E]

Wed Jun 11 16:35:52 UTC 2008

L O W L A N D S - L  - 11 June 2008 - Volume 01

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Resources

Dear Lowlanders,

I am sure I am not the only one here that has noticed a good deal of
interest and knowledge in history among us. This has led me to think it
would be good to showcase some of this as long as it is relevant to the
Lowlands. So I am proposing another web series with historical information,
such as in article ranging from very brief blurbs to lengthy essays, also
including things like photographs, drawings, paintings, maps and music, with
or without accompanying text. Of interest would be for instance the
Hanseatic network topic we've talked about. Also, it would be nice to post
some interesting and relevant historical documents.

Some of this overlaps with works already posted in the other series. For
instance, there is Pat's article about wall anchors in the gallery (
http://lowlands-l.net/gallery/reynolds_muurankers.php). In the travel series
there are Andrys' article about St. Jacob (
http://lowlands-l.net/travels/stjabik.php), Jonny's about Hadeln (
http://lowlands-l.net/travels/hadeln.php), Arend's about the Priestless
Church (http://lowlands-l.net/travels/ballin-stadt.php) and mine about
Ballin-Stadt (http://lowlands-l.net/travels/ballin-stadt.php). Why, I can
even see Tom's article about Edinburgh (
http://lowlands-l.net/travels/edinburgh.php) showcased under "History", for
it describes a walk along the city's historical high points. I see nothing
wrong with double-posting these pieces, i.e. in posting them in the history
series as well if the creators agree with this. And, by the way, all of
these pages get a good number of visitors pretty much all the time. So don't
ever think they're disappearing in a black hole!

Furthermore, over the years there has been a good deal of interest in
Lowlands folklore: myths, tales, customs, taboos, songs, nursery rhymes and
so forth. It would be good to showcase some of this also, probably in brief
blurbs, songs and rhymes just by themselves or with brief introductions.

So I am talking about potentially two new series. Other series might
materialize later (such as a more scholarly linguistic one I can envisage).

I encourage you to think about this and to consider contributing to it. You
may do so in any language you wish (yes, Scandinavian, French, Italian,
Spanish, Portuguese, Estonian, Russian, Japanese, Chinese, Arabic or
whatever, too), though at least English summaries would be nice, which don't
have to be written by the original authors. Please bear in mind that you can
list any of these contributions as published works on your résumés or
curricula vitae. Also bear in mind that, while you give us permission to
showcase your works, you remain the actual copyright owners.

Please suggest titles for the propose series.

   - History:
   - Folklore:

Lowlanders, please remember that, no matter how modest, such projects really
constitute a type of public service in that it creates educational resources
about our languages, cultures and places. This makes a real difference
especially among internationally lesser known ones. We are putting them on
the map by sharing them with people that previously knew little or nothing
about them, that may not even have known they existed.

Thanks and regards,
Reinhard/Ron

Our series so far:

   - http://lowlands-l.net/anniversary/