LL-L "Phonology" 2008.06.12 (08) [E]

Fri Jun 13 00:12:47 UTC 2008

L O W L A N D S - L - 12 June 2008 - Volume 08

From: Travis Bemann <tabemann at gmail.com>
Subject: LL-L "Phonology" 2008.06.12 (02) [E

> From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
> Subject: Phonology
>
> So I believe the name Shakespeare was pronounced [ˈʃæːkspeːɹ] at the time
> (cf. modern [ˈʃɛɪkspɪɹ], [ˈʃɛɪkspiɝ], [ˈʃeɪkspɪə], [ˈʃæɪkspɪə], etc.).
>
> Many Canadian speakers have monophthong [eː] as an equivalent of the said
> sound (thus saying [ˈʃeːkspɪɹ], I guess). On the US side, too, many
speakers
> [eː] or [ɛː] in names like "Australia".

The above actually applies to a lot of North American English
dialects, including many Upper Midwestern and Californian dialects.
For instance, here "Shakespeare" would be [ˈʃeʔksʲpʲɪːʁ] or
[ˈʃeʔksʲpiːʁ̩ː] (X-SAMPA: ["Se?ks'p'I:R] or ["Se?ks'pi:R=:]). (Note
the vowel length is different from in the Canadian case, and at least
from one Canadian from Ontario I've talked to, they still have limited
preservation of historical English vowel length up there.)