LL-L "Phonology" 2008.06.16 (02) [E]

Mon Jun 16 14:43:25 UTC 2008

L O W L A N D S - L - 16 June 2008 - Volume 02

From: Ingmar Roerdinkholder <ingmar.roerdinkholder at WORLDONLINE.NL>
Subject: LL-L "Phonology" 2008.06.15 (05) [E]

But I didn't say that the spread of uvular R was due to Jewish
transmission, only that the Jews were almost without exception uvular r
speakers in non uvular environment, such as the Pre War Netherlands,
arabic countries, Italia, Russia, Poland etc.
Isn't it a bit strange to suppose that e.g. Yiddish would be influenced
more by French pronunciation than other European languages at this point?
And supposing the fact that Maghribi Jews (Morocco, Algeria, Tunesia) also
used the uvular R is from French too?
So, why didn't the latter have [y] for [u] then, too, or [Z] for [dZ] in
Algeria, or nasal vowels?
Maybe the original Sephardic Jews from Portugal and Spain had an uvular R
too, still back from Palestine, when they went to the Maghreb. Present day
Portuguese has uvular R initially and when geminated, it almost sounds
like Spanish jota.
Btw I noticed that there is an interesting parallel between Spanish j =
[x] in Spain and [h] in Latin America, and Portuguese initial/double r [x]
in Portugal and [h] in Brasil.

Ingmar

Ingmar,

I would be surprised if the spread of uvular /r/ were due to Jewish
transmission (at least in place other than the Netherlands). How would a
largely despised minority considered "foreigner" be able to do so?

Most Ashkenazi Jews in the Netherlands arrived relatively late and came
from
German- and French-speaking parts, aside from East Europeans many of them
used uvular /r/ in Yiddish.

I believe that the leveling of /r/ and *ghayn* in North African Jewish
Arabic is due to French-inspired "affectation" in French colonies. (Most
new
North African immigrants I met in Israel tried their best to pass as
French.) Jews of Egypt (once a British colony) do not use a uvular sound
for
/r/.

The uvular articulation of /r/ in Modern Hebrew clearly belongs to strong
European adstrata.

The voiced uvular fricative is most definitely not associated with /r/ in
the Semitic languages. In pre-modern Hebrew and in Judeo-Aramaic it is the
pronunciation of "soft" *gimel* (×'), in non-Jewish Aramaic with "soft" *
gamal* (Ü"), in Arabic with *ghayn* (غ), and in Maltese it doesn't seem to
exist.

I rather think that the spread of uvular /r/ in Europe emanated from French
via the French craze in the 17th and 18th centuries.

From: Travis Bemann <tabemann at gmail.com>
Subject: LL-L "Phonology" 2008.06.15 (07) [E]

On that note, the English dialect here in Milwaukee very commonly uses
a uvular approximant for /r/ (and sometimes a weak voiced uvular
fricative), except after coronals, where it uses a postalveolar
approximant more typical of North American English dialects. Of
course, this is not the addition of any new phonemes but rather the
wholesale replacement of the original NAE realization of /r/ in most
positions. For myself, a uvular approximant is the default rhotic
except after coronals, even though I am not sure if it is quite as
consistent amongst everyone here (as there are greatly varying levels
of General American influence here). As such is a very atypical
feature for an NAE dialect, but at the same time I have heard of the
use of uvular rhotics being encountered sporadically over a relatively
wide area of the US, which makes me think that it very likely is a
substratum feature (particularly considering the substrata present in
this area).