LL-L "Projects" 2008.06.18 (02) [E]

Wed Jun 18 22:06:59 UTC 2008

L O W L A N D S - L  - 18 June 2008 - Volume 02

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
 Subject: Projects

Dear Lowlanders,

Last week I wrote:

I am sure I am not the only one here that has noticed a good deal of
interest and knowledge in history among us. This has led me to think it
would be good to showcase some of this as long as it is relevant to the
Lowlands. So I am proposing another web series with historical information,
such as in article ranging from very brief blurbs to lengthy essays, also
including things like photographs, drawings, paintings, maps and music, with
or without accompanying text. Of interest would be for instance the
Hanseatic network topic we've talked about. Also, it would be nice to post
some interesting and relevant historical documents.

Later we discussed the scope and the title, and, as usual, I tried to
"enthuse" you into pitching in.

Let it not be said that I don't whip these things out quickly these days! *
Voilà!* The history site is ready and receptive:

http://lowlands-l.net/history/

So far it contains only one new article (Arthur's) among a few cross-posted
adaptations from previously published articles. I am still waiting for
permission to cross-post other articles. I know of one new article that is
definitely in the making.

Please consider sending us some goodies for this. It doesn't have to be
anything long or spectacular. As for suitable material, please read my
explanations and suggestions on the index page and on the page calling for
submissions:

http://lowlands-l.net/history/
http://lowlands-l.net/history/submission.php

You may send submissions (n any language), comments, suggestions and
corrections to me personally (sassisch at yahoo.com) under "History" or "Water
under The Bridge".

Also, please think about the other proposed web project and what you can do
for it: a presentation of all manner of Lowlands folklore (mythology,
legends, folktales, customs, taboos, rituals, folk wisdom, aphorisms, poems,
songs etc.). Again, no long epistles are required. A single paragraph, a
picture ... Fine! Again in any language.

And we need to come up with a title for it. Again I propose that we use a
combination of a catchy, intriguing main title and an explanatory subtitle.
My first suggestions:

*Kabouters, Ghost Ships, and Sinterklaas*
Folk traditions of the Lowlands
*Kabouters, Mad Meg, and Sinterklaas
*Folk traditions of the Lowlands

*Kabouters, Mad Meg, and Jan van Hunks' Soul
*Folk traditions of the Lowlands

*Klabautermann, Mad Meg, and Jan van Hunks' Soul
*Folk traditions of the Lowlands

*Goblins, Rip Van Winkle, and Jan van Hunks' Soul
*Folk traditions of the Lowlands

... or any other such combinations, as long as it has the right sound and
rhythm.

Mention of these (or other) examples of "typical" features of Lowlands
traditions are supposed to entice people in. (Should that be the derivative
"Santa Claus" instead of the original "Sinterklaas"?)

Kabouters are the Little Folk. "Mad Meg" is the equivalent of "Dulle Griet".
The Dutch pirate Jan van Hunks, whose soul the devil took on Tabletop
Mountain, provides a nice link to South Africa. The Klabautermann is a North
German goblins that haunts ships, oftentimes heralding the arrival of the
dreaded Flying Dutchman. Rip Van Winkle is a North American fiction figure
but alludes to Dutch colonial times, and it is connected with other such
traditions (e.g. the German Karl Katz, the Jewish חוני המעגל Honi HaM'agel,
Eastern Asia's 爛柯 Lànkē/Ranka, the Syriac Christian Seven Sleepers, and so
forth.

Are there any other title suggestions?

And happy Vesak to those of you to whom this means something!

Regards and thanks,