LL-L "Names" 2008.06.18 (04) [E]

Wed Jun 18 22:59:54 UTC 2008

L O W L A N D S - L - 18 June 2008 - Volume 04

From: Kevin & Cheryl Caldwell <kevin.caldwell1963 at verizon.net>
Subject: LL-L "Idiomatica" 2008.06.18 (01) [E]

Americans also use the terms "men's room", "ladies' room", and, in schools,
"boys' room" and "girls' room".  Sometimes we call it the lavatory (which
technically is a place where you wash up, or even just a sink, but it
extends to the whole room).  Then there are slang terms like john, can, pot,
and head, or children's slang like potty and toity.  To me, a toilet is the
actual fixture (also called a commode), not the room it is in.

Ron, why are suddenly writing "US Americans"?  I think most people
understand "Americans" to refer to people from the United States of *America
*.

Kevin Caldwell
----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
 Subject: Names

Hi, Kevin!

The short answer: too many complaints.

Most of these complaints come from Latin Americans, and some Canadians have
told me they dislike it also. The usual argument is that they are all
Americans.

Some complain about "United States" without "of America" as well. There is
another united states country: Mexico (*Estados Unidos Mexicanos, Mēxihcatl
Tlacetilīlli Tlahtohcāyōtl*).

Many see this "name monopoly" as symptomatic of US American dominance,
"arrogance" and the rest of it.

Such voices of dissent are much more audible these days because of direct
global communication and electronic international gatherings like ours.