LL-L "History" 2008.06.21 (03) [E]

Sat Jun 21 18:30:36 UTC 2008

 http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands.list at gmail.com

 Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

 Administration: lowlands.list at gmail.com or sassisch at yahoo.com

L O W L A N D S - L  - 21 June 2008 - Volume 03

From: Tom Carty <cartyweb at hotmail.com>
Subject: History - Priestless Church

The Preistless Church article on Water Under the Bridge as two parrallells
in Ireland. In the North of Ireland the Covenentars met in the open while
being persecuted by the Church of England under Charles II, and all the
island is peppered with local "Mass Rocks" where priests on the run preached
to their flock either on the open or from the backs of carts.

Again, there was lookouts, and the Yeomanry were sent to break it up.

Talking of language connections, many dismiss the Dutch influence on English
and Scots here in Ireland. However the Dutch Kerk can clearly be seen to
have influenced the Scots and Ullans word of Kirk, as in Irish it is Cill,
and English has no word I know of similar.

- Tomas

-------

From: Tom Carty <cartyweb at hotmail.com>
Subject: History

Ron, i dont know if this post suits the group or not, Ill let you decide. If
it doesnt, delete it, no harm done. It might suit the "Water Under the
Bridge Section".

- Tomas

Tracing familiy branches that have become isolated as a result of history is
something that effects a lot of families, both from the West looking ot the
battlefields of Europe, and from Europe looking out at the allied powers
from where an ancestor may have came.

My Grandunclue Thomas Reilly was as I understand it, the typical bum...
lived for work and drink, and emigrated to the New World circa 1910 from
Ireland. What this has to do with history will be explained later on.

He ended up in the Bowery like many another man and indeed Irishman more
than once, and came home every so often during his dry spells to see family
and tell them just how great the New World was. Of course we had neighbours
there who reported his real situation, but all kept schtum anyway.

In 1917, he joined the US cavalry, and was stationsed in Germany after WWI,
where he met a local girl, and married her (as our version goes, whether he
did or not we dont actually know). She had two children circa 1920-1925, and
died in childbirth, so he gave the children called Tom and Ned to her
parents who were shopkeepers to be raised, headed off to the USA and resumed
his productive lifestyle as before.

After another few bouts n the drink, on the dry, he returned home in 1934
and told such horrifying stories of the hell of the gret war his brother in
law (my grandfather) threatned to hammer him is he did not shut up. The
children were fascinated of cource!!! Now the grandfather was not sqeamish,
having come through the Tan War and the Irish Civil War. (His wifes first
cousing was the wife of the Blacksmith of Ballinalee, General Sean Mac Eoin)

He joined the British Army in WWII and again headed for Europe, losing his
arms and legs in the Dunkirk saga. Moved to military hospital, we got a
telegram in 1953 that he died of TB in military hospital. Being with the
Brits was taboo in them days, so the telegraph was ignored, hushed up and
where the man was buried we dont know.

Contacts with the Royal British Legion were to little avail, but Ive to
follow up a lead they gave me.

So that was that.

I grew up in the little town of Banagher (or Bannaker as many Germans
misrponounced it) One day my dad was enjoying his few drinks too many when
the owner of Haughs pub come over and said "John, heres a good one, have you
ever heard of two Germans called Reilly?" Dad laughed and passed no remarks.

He told my mother when he went home, and she nearly dropped the dinner
plates she was carrying. "They could be Uncle Toms kids" she said. Dad took
the cue to extrat more money for booze from mam, and went officially to
track down the Germans and find out was it them. He got as far as the second
pub down the street, spent the night there and staggered home declaring they
were nowhere to be found, before sheepishly admitting he never looked for
them at all!!!

To make a long story short, we are still looking for this branch of the
family, and maybe a Lowlannds memeber might know a German or two called
Reilly, whose grandparents who reared them were shopkeepers. If you do, or
have photos of them, get in touch.

One of the few pictures I have of him I used in the cover of my poetry book
"Passing by our Planet <http://www.lulu.com/content/322275#>" and I include
below.

That is him in the US cavalry. Those who went and took pictures and sold
them to the soldiers printied the pictures on postcards, and the soldiers
posted them home. We have one of those cards. Unfortunalty, he put the
postcard in an envelope and wrote a letter along with it, as opposed to
writing on the card!!!

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>

Hi, Tom, thanks, and congrats on another book published!

Family histories do absolutely qualify for inclusion in the history
presentation (http://lowlands-l.net/history/). Say the word, and I'll
include the story about your relative, or you might tweak it a bit if you
wish. Of coarse, your new book can be mentioned in that context.

The same applies if you "donate" a poem or four from the book to the Gallery
presentation (http://lowlands-l.net/gallery/).

And you might like to write something about the Mass Rocks for the History
and/or Travel series.

As for *kerk*, I have a feeling this is a spelling twist on Scots *kirk*.
The short Scots /i/ tends to be pronounced lower than "i" in English "in"
and "lid" and is often heard as [e].