LL-L "Projects" 2008.06.24 (04) [E]

Tue Jun 24 15:51:02 UTC 2008

L O W L A N D S - L  - 24 June 2008 - Volume 04

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com
Subject: Projects

Dear Lowlanders,

Our Toms and I have been active.

In our Gallery (http://lowlands-l.net/gallery/), Tom Carty (nó Tomas O'
Carthaigh mar a thugtar air) added another one of his poems in Irish ("Amach
a Tháinig Siad") and English ("Out They Came"), and I added my German ("Sie
kamen hervor") and Low Saxon ("Vör Tüüg kemen se") translations to it. Other
poems may follow. So watch that space!

Specifically for the new history presentation (
http://lowlands-l.net/history/), Tom Mc Rae added a preface to his guided
tour through Edinburgh. I dare say together they make a fine contribution
and a useful guide to that lovely city through a native son's eyes. No
wonder this is one of our most visited pages, visited from all corners of
the world. Like our Andrys (who recently added a Fryslân travel description
to our Travel presentation: http://lowlands-l.net/travels/), Tom put his
impressions during a visit to his native stomping ground to good use by
sharing some of it with the world.

As the saying goes: "Absence makes the heart grow fonder." Emigrants,
including but not limited to those that left for other countries, tend to
count among the most appreciative people when it comes to their native
places, cultures and languages, especially when they are at a time of life
when homecoming is the general theme for them. Now this would be a great
topic for artistic outlets!

I am preparing our traditions presentation, a repository for all sorts of
things under the topics "folk" and "traditional" with a Lowlands focus. *All
* of us have something to contribute to this. For instance, if you are not a
Lowlander by birth, you could write about your first encounter with and
perception of anything traditionally Lowlandic, can share what you have
learned. Say, for instance, you are Brazilian or Japanese or Arabic or
Russian; you could share your observations, impressions and reactions
regarding Lowlands traditions with your people in your languages in your own
languages.

I know that lots and lots of people out there are interested in this sort of
thing. So please think about it and share it under this rubric. Just send it
to me. If you are not sure, just write to me and consult with me. If you
need help I might be able to hook you up with the right persons.

This applies to all our presentations published so far:

   - *Anniversary*
   http://lowlands-l.net/anniversary/
   - *Travels*
   http://lowlands-l.net/travels/
   - *Gallery*
   http://lowlands-l.net/gallery/
   - *Beyond the Pale*
   http://lowlands-l.net/beyondthepale/
   - *Water under The Bridge*
   http://lowlands-l.net/history/

Please bear in mind that the number of daily visits to these presentations
keeps on growing. Visitors truly come from all over the world, and they
learn about our areas of interest.

Thanks and regards,