LL-L "Culture" 2008.06.26 (06) [E]

Thu Jun 26 19:24:44 UTC 2008

 http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands.list at gmail.com

 Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

 Administration: lowlands.list at gmail.com or sassisch at yahoo.com

L O W L A N D S - L  - 26 June 2008 - Volume 06

From: Paul Finlow-Bates <wolf_thunder51 at yahoo.co.uk>
Subject: LL-L "Culture" 2008.06.25 (02) [E/LS]

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com

Anyone from Germany is thus expected to be some type of Bavarian. (I wish I
had a dollar for every time I was asked what I was planning to do for
Oktoberfest and for Fasching, and people quickly change the topic when I
explain that those are not part of my heritage.

Ron and All;

It's not part of my heritage either, but I still like Oktoberfests.  They're
even bigger in Australia.  The local German Association might organise them
but the majority of people enjoying the day understand "Bier" and
"Bratwurst", and that's about it. Including many members of the German
Association!

For most non-Germans, it isn't a cultural issue, it's a beer, food and
entertainment issue.  If you introduce them to a Saxon beer-drinking
occasion, they'll be in to that too.

Paul Finlow-Bates
----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com> <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Culture

Hi, Paul!

Of course Northerners don't necessarily *boycott* Oktoberfest and Fasching,
and, as you said, some people will attend *any* function that has boozing as
its main pursuit. What we are talking about here is resentment or rejection
of being included in a stereotype based on a culture not one's own.

I'm sure there are some English people (however few they may be ... ;-) )
that go out of their way to eat haggis and wear kilts (well, at least the
male royals do for symbolic reasons). That's one thing. It's another thing
if you move to an "exotic" country and people expect you to attend Burns
Nicht and wear a kilt while piping in the haggis.

Marcus, how about writing a piece about Low Saxon Faslom for the new
"Traditions" presentation? I did not grow up with it and wonder if it
belongs mainly to Roman Catholic communities. I take it the name *Falsom* is
related to *Fastelavend*.