LL-L "Words" 2008.06.28 (04) [E]

Sat Jun 28 23:48:59 UTC 2008

L O W L A N D S - L  - 28 June 2008 - Volume 04

From: jonny <jonny.meibohm at arcor.de>
Subject: LL-L "Words"

Beste Ron,

seeing you being busy with your new projects we should not forget 'Beyond
The Pale'.

I should like you to check some new proposals.

*In category 'Words I like':*

LS: 'anbukken'
E: 'to abut', 'to make a child itself feel salvaged in the arms of mom or
dad'
I like this word, which probably was my very first Low Saxon one, because it
took all dangers, all harm of the world from my babyish soul. It is also
used in the Northern dialects of Standard German, because there is no real
equivalent in that language, as well as in English (?).

*In category 'Words I hate':*
**
E: 'motherf..r'
I hate it, because for my feeling it is so cruel and obscene like just very
few words in any language I know. And meanwhile it starts to become part of
the vocabulary of German proles, too.

*In category 'False Friends':*

E: 'tank', meaning an armoured vessel
G: 'Tank', meaning a bin, a container

*and same category:*

East Frisian Low Saxon: 'Bomme', meaning 'milk can'
G: 'Bombe', meaning
E: 'bomb'

*In category 'Words To Confuse':*
**
G: 'Maräne', meaning a fish of the *coregonidae*-family (G: also 'Renke'; E:
'whitefish [??])
G: 'Marone', meaning E: 'chestnut'
G: 'Moräne', meaning the geological relics of the glacier time, the
'moraine'
G: 'Muräne', meaning another fish, the 'moray (eel)'

...and some more stepping stones of this kind:

G: 'Matrone', E: 'matron'
G: 'Makrone', E: 'macaroon'.

This for today...

Allerbest, and have a nice weekend, alltogether!

Jonny Meibohm

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com
Subject: Words

Thanks, Jonny. I'll add them to http://lowlands-l.net/beyondthepale/ as soon
as I get a chance, at least after you got some feedback.