LL-L "Idiomatica" 2008.03.06 (02) [E/German]

Thu Mar 6 16:50:46 UTC 2008

L O W L A N D S - L  - 06 March 2008 - Volume 02
the html toggle at the bottom of the archived page.

From: Maria Elsie Zinsser <ezinsser at icon.co.za>
Subject: LL-L "Idiomatica" 2008.03.05 (02) [E]

Hoi Jonny,

Are you referring to heiapopeia? We discussed this lautmalerisches word
years ago and it should still sit in the archives. Here is the etymological
explanation from
http://www.etymologie.info/~e/<http://www.etymologie.info/%7Ee/>
:

*"Heiapopeia" geht zurück auf altgriech. "Hoide o paide" = "schlaf, o kind"
und wurde umgangssprachlich abgeschliffen."

Does the word perhaps refer to a new playful and lazy generation?

Regards,
Elsie
*

 From: jonny <jonny.meibohm at arcor.de>
Subject: LL-L"Language use"

Beste Lowlanners,

an LS word is the runner among young people in Germany!

Perhaps some of the Germans among you remember the word 'Heiopei' (nobody
knew/knows its real meaning, not to talk about the origin), born in the
early 70ies and very much 'en vogue' among us youngsters. After a while even
my own father used to use it...

The latest creation I heard from two of my children (26, 27, who both don't
speak LS at all) is *_griesgnaddelig_,* and my inventions on yahoo gave some
hits. It's used for several opportunities in varying meanings. The meaning
could be something like 'grumpy', though I haven't heard it in real LS
before.

A new trend????

Allerbest!

Jonny Meibohm