LL-L "Etymology" 2008.03.08 (03) [E]

Sun Mar 9 02:46:59 UTC 2008

L O W L A N D S - L  - 08 March 2008 - Volume 01
the html toggle at the bottom of the archived page.

From: heatherrendall at tiscali.co.uk <heatherrendall at tiscali.co.uk>
Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2008.03.08 (02) [E]

From Heather Rendall

Subject Etymology

Henno wrote "in Dutch we have the word "blakeren", for to scorch (mostly in
specific expressions or words, like "zwartgeblakerd"

zwartgeblakerd .............. I love it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I couldn't ask for
a more succinct example. Brilliant! Thanks, Henno!

Heather

PS My ancient Sprach Brockhaus has der Black und das Black ( it's upstairs
and I'm too tired [ for that read lazy!] to go up and check) one is Saxon =
ink and the other = a horse

How come 'a horse'?   from the colour 'black' or some other derivation?
----------

From: A. van der Ploeg <antonpap at xs4all.nl>

goejûn Lowlanders,

What do you think about the danish "blæk" for ink  and  "sort" for black?
or the swedish  "bläck" for ink and "svart" for black?

en gödj eeling,
Anton van der Ploeg
----------

From: A. van der Ploeg <antonpap at xs4all.nl>

Sorry forgot the most important: the Northern Frisian ( Mooringer Frasch)
"blåk" for ink and "suurt" for black?

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Etymology

In Northern Low Saxon, *blaken* (root: *blaak-*) usually means 'to smoke',
'to be smoky', 'to produce soot' (e.g., a chimney or a lamp).

As I said, *blak* (*Black*) is 'ink' (usually only black ink, though often
synonymous with *dint*). An inkwell is a *blakput* (*Blackputt*, *put* being
'pot').

An idiomatic expression using *blak* is *blak sapen* *(hebben)* ("(to have)
guzzled ink"), as in Jy hebt blak sapen (*Ji hebbt Black sapen*) 'You (pl.)
are crazy/silly'.

Since the verb has a long vowel and the noun has a short vowel, I wonder if
they are of different origin, e.g. if one of them is a loan.