LL-L "Etymology" 2008.03.10 (03) [E]

Tue Mar 11 06:01:00 UTC 2008

L O W L A N D S - L  - 10 March 2008 - Volume 03
the html toggle at the bottom of the archived page.

From: Luc Hellinckx <luc.hellinckx at gmail.com>
Subject: LL-L "Etymology"

From: orville crane <manbythewater at hotmail.com>
Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2008.03.09 (03) [E]

Then you can find last names of people like Halfpenny or Tenpenny. I have
seen an English halfpenny, rather small, but never a tenpenny, although one
can always buy a tenpenny nail at the hardware store.
man by the water

"Thienpont" (Tenpound) is quite a popular last name in and around Ghent
(Eastern Flanders). Could relate both to money ànd weight of course.

Kind greetings,

Luc Hellinckx

----------

From: Ingmar Roerdinkholder <ingmar.roerdinkholder at WORLDONLINE.NL>

Beste Luc,

I can fully understand that you like to be a halfling, for who does not
like Frodo? but Hellinck(x) to be derived from an older Dutch "halfling"
raises a few questions with me.
In Brabantish, an umlauted genitive form with 'e' is likely, but not in
Western varieties of Dutch, like Flemish, Zeelandic, Hollandic, and even
Western Brabantish, there we'd expect unmuted 'a'. So in those areas, do
we find equivalents suchas "Hallinck", "Hallinckx", "Halling", "Hallings"?
According to what you wrote, it's "e" everywhere, so then wouldn't this
name being derived of Hello, Hild or especially Hellin be more likely?
We see the same with other Dutch family names: Bakker(s) etc in the West,
Bekker(s), Beckers etc in the East (incl Brabant), same with Vlamings
versus Vlemmings/Vlemings etc. or Zager and Zeger?

Groeten
Ingmar

Luc Hellinckx schreef:

Judging the oldest spelling of one of my ancestors' name, "Gielys
Hellincx", (1467, Merchtem, precisely the town where I grew up, and still
the center of all living Hellinckx' today), I believe it to be the
Brabantish genitive of "hallinc", ...
Apparently, in the past, people were quite often named after currency.
Dutch names like "Schellinck(x)", "Penninck(x)" and "Hellinck(x)" prove
this (resp. shilling, penny and halfling). Of course there's quite a lot of
geographical variation in the spelling:

English: Shilling, Penny, Helling
Northern Dutch: Schelling, Penning, Helling
Southwestern Dutch: Schellinck, Penninck, Hellinck
Central Dutch: Schellinckx, Penninckx, Hellinckx
Eastern Dutch: Schellings, Pennings, Hellings
German: Schilling(er), Pfenni(n)g(er), Helling(er)

Another explanation, that I consider less likely, sees "Hellinckx" as the
genitive of a pet name (Hello, Hillin, Hellin...) for one of the many
hild-names. In Hildebrand, Hildeboud, Hildebert, Hildegard..., hild- means
"battle".