LL-L "LL-L news" 2008.03.12 (01) [E]

Wed Mar 12 15:47:08 UTC 2008

 http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands.list at gmail.com

 Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

 Administration: lowlands.list at gmail.com or sassisch at yahoo.com

the html toggle at the bottom of the archived page.

From: orville crane <manbythewater at hotmail.com>
Subject: LL-L "LL-L news" 2008.03.11 (02) [E]

Feliciteren! Ik ben blij dat je (ook voor ons) een dergelijke eer ontvangen
hebt!
man bij het water

----------

From: Andrys Onsman <Andrys.Onsman at calt.monash.edu.au>

From; Andrys Onsman
re: News

Dear Ron

WooooHooooo!!

Nothing more than you deserve! Congratulations; wear it proudly.

Best wishes
Andrys

----------

From: Diederik Masure <didimasure at hotmail.com>

Gratz, Ron!

One sidemark, whereas the letter says that "more and more peoples have been
growing aware of their cultural identities, and they express their
uniqueness by speaking their original languages", of course we all know that
the Flemish government uniformly propagates the Northern Dutch standard
language and does everything to surpress local varieties as much as
possible, as f.eks. a few days/weeks ago when minister Keulen forbade
representants in the "gemeenteraad" (muncipality council?) in Voeren to
speak their local Rheinlandish dialect in council meetings, where the use of
Voerens/Rheinlandish was inspired by an attempt to avoid choosing sides
between Flemish and Walloon in the political "hetze" of lately. And quite
often you hear about studies finding out that teachers still use too much
dialect in schools, and consecutive directives from official instances that
education should happen in standard dutch and standard dutch only.
Of course I kind of understand that they want to have a unified language and
such, but I just think it's a little bit bullshit/hypocritical to claim that
they're happy about people using indigenous languages more and more(, as
long as it doesn't happen in their backyard)...

Diederik