LL-L "Etymology" 2008.03.15 (04) [E]

Sat Mar 15 18:34:07 UTC 2008

the html toggle at the bottom of the archived page.

From: orville crane <manbythewater at hotmail.com>
Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2008.03.15 (01) [E]

Dear Lowlanders,
Leif Ericsson traveled from Greenland to North America a thousand years ago
and took took his expedition past a stony island called "Helluland", meaning
"Slab Land". This is thought to be Baffin Island, I believe.
The Faroese verb, 'hella' means: 1. to slant, slope, bend, bow; 2) to lean,
to be in a leaning, sloping position.
The Far. noun, 'hella' means; 1. bedrock, rocky ground, fixed rock; 2) flat
rocky beach; 3) flat stone, stone flag
The Far. adjective, 'hellutur' means ground or terrain with flat rocks.
man by it wetter