LL-L "Phonology" 2008.03.23 (07) [E]

Mon Mar 24 04:14:27 UTC 2008

the html toggle at the bottom of the archived page.

From: ipm7d at oi.com.br
Subject: LL-L "Phonology" 2008.03.23 (02) [E]

> Hi, Brandsma!

    Thanks for the answer.

         Ívison.

----------

From: Ivison dos Passos Martins <ipm7d at OI.COM.BR>
Subject: Long Vowels

Dear Ron & All:

  I've been studying Old English phonology and how the Great Vowel Shift
affected the long vowels in this language.
  I've been told that The Old Saxon long ō has become /ou/in Modern Low
Saxon. I am trying to discover what would English vowels sound like today
(approximately) if there would have been no Great Vowel Shift. It seems to
me that Old Dutch, Danish and Norwegian underwent the same process. I've
heard of many languages and dialects realted to English that could give us
a clue - Saterlandic has "fout" [fo.ut] (cf. OHG fuot) where in old
English we had fōt, now foot /fut/...

  I'm particularly interested in these two vowels ē and ō.

   Thank you all.

    Ívison.

----------

From: Ingmar Roerdinkholder <ingmar.roerdinkholder at WORLDONLINE.NL>

Limburgish [vo:t] not [fo:t], or [vOUt] in Sittard, or [vu:t] in West-
Limburgish (Belgium). As in Standard Dutch, even more so in the Southern
pronunciations of Zeeland, Flanders, Brabant and Limburg, initial v- is a
soft, voiced consonant, not [f] as in German Low Saxon, Frisian, Afrikaans
and city Hollandic. There is a difference in pronunciation between f and
v, equal to that between s and z, how hard to understand it may be for
Germanic foreigners - but not for e.g. French. I think in South Western
British dialects of English, initial f (and s, sh) are/were voiced as well?

Ingmar

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Phonology

What in Old Saxon is written "ô" tends to be /ou/ in Modern Low Saxon;
e.g.,

English

Scots

Frisian