LL-L "Traditions" 2008.05.03 (03) [E]

Mon May 5 04:46:39 UTC 2008

L O W L A N D S - L - 02 May 2008 - Volume 03

From: Theo Homan <theohoman at yahoo.com>
Subject: LL-L "Traditions" 2008.05.03 (04) [E]

> From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
> Subject: Traditions

[...]
>    1. Storks are monogamous, tend to return to and
> raise their annual
>    offspring in the same nests and seem to attach
> themselves to the same houses
>    or villages year after year, thus symbolizing
> traditional human ideals of
>    home, family, fertility, faithfulness and
> constancy.
>    2. In many Continental Lowlands language
> varieties, one of the early
>    words, probably a by-name, for "stork" is
> **udafaro* "wetlands
>    traveler" (**uda* being related to the "water"
> group, and
> **faro*being related to the "fare" and "-farer"
> group). Apparently,
> this came to be
>    reanalyzed as **ōdaboro* ~ **ādabaro*
> "fortune-bearer", hence for
>    instance Dutch and Afrikaans *ooievaar*, W.
> Frisian *earrebarre*, and
>    Low Saxon *adebaar* > *aadbaar*, *aabaar*,
> *ebeer*, etc. (> German *
>    Adebar*).
>
> Regards,
> Reinhard/Ron

Hi,

Let me add: traditionally there was a wave of births
after the storks had returned, because in rural
districts the couples married after the harvest was
finished.
[I know: because I was born halftime the period in
which the storks still were enjoying their vacations
in the sun; my birth always has been a mystery to my
parents.]

vr.gr.
Theo Homan